9/15/11

9/07/11
Leadership is the ability to create harmony among the unrelated by finding the common ground and forcing that newfound commonality to achieve a mutual goal.

9/15/11
Leadership is the ability to bring people from different backgrounds and groups into a purposeful team by engaging them to work in a cooperative fashion to deliver the wanted result towards a shared dream.

The five minute inspirational video from ted.com talking about how leadership requires followers and "Deciding What You Believe" by Robert Terry made me change my definition this week. The video we watched in class made me realize that leadership without followers is like a classroom without any students. Surely a classroom is necessary to educate the public, but without students, a classroom is nothing more than an empty room. This made me acknowledge leadership as a gathering of people, not just finding harmony among people because harmony cannot be found if the process of the gathering does not exist. Next, the article I read made me realize that vision and engagement are crucial in a working team. Therefore, I decided to put these words on my definition. As I read more and more articles such as "How Good People Make Tough Choices," and "The Leadership Repertoire" taught me that being a leader is extremely difficult because one has to make decisions between right versus right situations by using several different leadership styles.

Reference: Terry, R. (2001). "Deciding what you believe." Seven zones for leadership: Acting authentically in stability and chaos (pp. 20 - 40). Mountain View, CA: Davies- Black Publishing, Inc.

Excellent reflection!