Week 10

Last week's final definition: Leadership means leaders should be able to encourage followers, give a sense of direction, connect the whole organization or community together and make ethical decisions through emotional intelligence and all ways of communication.

This week's definition: Leadership means leaders should be able to encourage followers, give a sense of direction, connect the whole organization or community together and make ethical decisions through emotional intelligence and all ways of communication. Be the person to make a difference.

Analysis of the differences of the definition: For this week's definition, I included the last sentence, "Be the person to make a difference." The reason I added this last sentence is because with this last week's reading, it said that if you (as students) want to make a difference, then work with your campus to make a difference. Step up into leadership positions at your school and try to influence the change that you want to see.

Komives, S. R., Lucas, N., & McMahon, T. R. (1998). "Interacting in Teams and Groups." Exploring Leadership: For college students who want to make a difference (pp. 165 - 194). San Francisco: Jossey-bass.

Week 9

This week's definition: Leadership means leaders should be able to encourage followers, give a sense of direction, connect the whole organization or community together and make ethical decisions through emotional intelligence and all ways of communication.

Analysis of the differences in the definition: I didn't change anything for this week's definition because I think that seeing diversity is part of making ethical decisions. Racism and Stereotypes, I think is something we know exists. When we make decisions, we have to consider all the biases and stereotypes that exist and be a leader in making the right decision. On a side note, as a leader, it is important to have diversity in the organization and enrich the community with the information.

Kezar, A. (2000). "Pluralistic Leadership: Incorporating Diverse Voices." Journal of Higher Education, 71(6), Nov. - Dec., 2000, pp.722-743.

Week 8

Last week's final definition: Leadership means leaders should be able to encourage followers, give a sense of direction, connect the whole organization or community together and make ethical decisions through emotional intelligence.

Analysis of the differences in the definition: For this week's definition, I only added "all ways of communication" because after this week's readings, I realized that it is not only important to efficiently interact with people face to face, it is also important for leaders to interact with others online. Sometimes, meeting with people face to face is hard so meeting online is becoming an easier way. When meeting online, it is best to see the person (either through Skype or webcam) to gain a sense of relationship and then work to collaborate on what they plan to collaborate on.

Sessions, L.F. (2010). How offline gatherings affect online communities: When virtual community members 'meet up'. Information, Communication & Society, 13(3), 375-395. doi:10.1080/13691180903468954

Week 7

Last week's final definition: Being a leader is not only being able to define who we are as leaders but also be able to encourage followers, give a sense of direction, connect the whole organization or community together and make ethical decisions.

This week's definition: Leadership means leaders should be able to encourage followers, give a sense of direction, connect the whole organization or community together and make ethical decisions through emotional intelligence.

Analysis of the differences in the definition: For this week's definition, I deleted the "being a leader is not only being able to define who we are as leaders" because it doesn't seem as important to me anymore to use leadership as to know how to identify with ourselves. I added "emotional intelligence" because this week's reading influenced me to believe that being a leader is deeper than just leading. It's also about being able to change and alter ways to make everything else work. It is also about being able to set goals and use new ways of learning to better performances.

Goleman, D., Boyatzis, R., & McKee, A. (2002). "Metamorphosis: Sustaining leadership change." Primal Leadership: Learning to lead with emotional intelligence (pp. 139 - 168). Boston: Harvard Business School Press.

Week 6

This week's definition: Being a leader is not only being able to define who we are as leaders but also be able to encourage followers, give a sense of direction, connect the whole organization or community together and make ethical decisions.

Analysis of the differences in the definition: I didn't change anything in this week's definition again. I feel like the readings this week enhanced and re-affirmed my previous definition. After answering the questions to the servant leader questionnaire, it does make me think about if I have what it takes to become a servant leader though. I am determined to become a good leader.

Barbuto, J. E., & Wheeler, D. W. (2007). "Becoming a Servant Leader: Do you have what it takes?" Retrieved from www.ianrpubs.unl.edu/epublic/live/g1481build/g1481.pdf

Week 5

Analysis of the differences in the definition: Nothing in this week has changed. The readings were based more on staying on top of leading and not becoming a failure. I find it interesting but it's not as important as my previous definition. I believe, still that if leaders are able to do what my definition says, choking and being stuck in a situation can be overcome.

Gladwell, M. (2000). "The Art of Failure: Why some people choke and others panic." The New Yorker, 84 - 92. Retrieved from http://www.gladwell.com/pdf/choking.pdf

Week 4

Last week's final definition: Being a leader is not able being able to define who we are as leaders but also be able to encourage followers, give a sense of direction and connect the whole organization or community together.

Analysis of the differences in the definitions: I added "make ethical decisions" to the previous definition. After this week's readings, I think one of the most important things to consider as leaders is to have an open-minded. When in making decisions, it is crucial to consider what is ethical and not. A lot of times, when people make decisions, it affects many people. Before we make a decision, we have to look at all the variables, possible results and make the best option overall. When we are stuck in right vs. right decisions, we need to believe in ourselves and know it is alright to make either decision.

Kidder, R. M. (2003). "Overview: The ethics of right vs. right." How Good People Make Tough Choices (pp. 13 - 29). New York: Simon & Schuster.

Week 3

Last week's final definition: Leadership can be born or made. In actuality, we make leadership be anything we want it to be because we are who define who we are as leaders.

This week's definition: Being a leader is not able being able to define who we are as leaders but also be able to encourage followers, give a sense of direction and connect the whole organization or community together.

Analysis of the differences in the definitions: I think I realized that it is not important to know whether if leaders are born or made. It is more important to understand that leaders have a bigger role in an organization or community. Leaders are those who connect a system together and keep it moving onwards.

Kyle, D. T. (1998). "The sovereign: The power of presences." The Four Powers of Leadership: Presence, intention, wisdom, compassion (pp. 159 - 191). Deerfield Beach, FL: Health Communications, Inc.

Week 2

Last week's final definition: Leadership involves leading others through communication and authority. People who have strong leadership skills are able to commit to changes and allow changes to happen. Some people are born with leadership and some have to build their leadership skills. Being a leader means that you have to be able to sacrifice and risk anything.

This week's definition: Leadership can be born or made. In actuality, we make leadership be anything we want it to be because we are who define who we are as leaders.

Analysis of the differences in the definitions: Nothing much has changed in my definition. The main reason is because the readings basically reaffirmed my previous definition. I believed that leadership is born and can also be built through learning the skills. The reading I chose to represent this week thought the same thing. The only difference is whether if the leader, himself/herself preferred to see it as born or learned.

Terry, R. (2001). "Deciding what you believe." Seven zones for leadership: Acting authentically in stability and chaos (pp. 20-40). Mountain View, CA: Davies-Black Publishing, Inc.

Week 1

Definition: Leadership involves leading others through communication and authority. People who have strong leadership skills are able to commit to changes and allow changes to happen. Some people are born with leadership and some have to build their leadership skills. Being a leader means that you have to be able to sacrifice and risk anything.