Palin's e-mail hacker sentenced to go to prison or halfway house

A 22 year old former University of Tennessee student was sentenced Friday, to a year and one day for hacking into Sarah Palin's Yahoo e-mail account during the 2008 presidential campaign.

MSNBC/ Associated Press reported that the judge recommend that David Kernell be sent to a halfway house instead of prison. He said Kernell should also get mental health treatment based on the defense statements he gave Friday about having depression since the age of 11.

According to CNN.com, Kernell's reason behind hacking into Palin's personal e-mail was to "derail" her vice presidential campaign.

Kernell found nothing that could help. He only found things which he said would not " 'derail her campaign as I had hoped, all I saw was personal stuff, some clerical stuff from when she was governor ... And pictures of her family ... I read everything, every little Blackberry confirmation ... all the pictures, and there was nothing...'."

Prosecutors wanted Kernell to serve 18 months in prison but the judge rejected the idea. At the moment, Kernell is not serving the sentence yet as the Bureau of Prison is still deciding the location of where Kernell should be confined.