Assignment 6

For this assignment I did a more elaborate NMF (novel, marketable, feasible) test to make informed decisions about which ideas to pursue and if any modifications are required.
Here are my steps.

MARKETABLE:

I designed a survey that testing how many people would like to purchase my products. I attached my entire sketches in the survey and distributed the link on facebook. I posted it on my facebook wall, posted the link in class group 2014 and class group 2015. Because I want to figure out the top 5 ideas first, then I will ask my friends about how much they would like to pay for these new inventions.
Surprisingly I got 109 people took my survey in 2 days. I know, 109! I cannot even believe it. There is even a random guy shared my survey to his friend's wall and joked about it, so I guess my products are pretty success in marketing at this beginning stage already.
Here is the picture the guy shared on his friend's wall: (I know it's kind of creepy, but I still did a screenshot)
捕获_副本.jpg

But anyway, here are the results! There are 5 best ideas already have been selected by my supportive customers on faebook.
2.JPG
1.JPG
Top 5 Ideas are:
1.Self-warm Mug - Pour cold drink in it, push the button, and enjoy the warm drink after 1 minute. You don't need microwave in winter! (Battery operated!)
2.Flannel PJ with Pillow - So easy, just sleep/lay anywhere you want. Good design to support your neck when you watch TV as well.
3.Shopping Schudulizer- A website allows you to type all the stores you want to do holiday shopping at & all the shopping categories you want, and then click "schedule", the whole program will tell you the best itinerary and which floor should you go pick up your desired items. Just be organized during holiday season.
4.Winter Bike Cover - Protect yourself from cold wind/snow when you bike in the winter, and also it keeps you warm. It's just a light transparent cover attached on the bike, you can use it whenever is needed.
5.Map Shopping Bag- A store map on the reusable shopping bags, so the customers will remember to bring their shopping bags to the stores and also they will be able to read the floor map from the bag. (know where to get everything in the store!)
-----
After that, I messaged some of my friends through facebook and ask them how much they would like to pay for these five products. I got a lot of different types of answers. For the "self-warm mug" I got retail price offers from $10 - $94.99
For the "Flannel PJ with Pillow" I got price offers from $20 - $50
For the "Shopping Schudulizer", because it's an app, so major people want it for free, and only one person offered $0.99 to purchase this app.
For "Winter Bike Cover", I got price offers from $15 - $35
and finally for the "Map Shopping bag" I got offers from $0.99 - $10

NOVEL:

Now that the top 5 ideas were chosen, here are some 'novel' testing. The first part of this test involved benchmarking these top 5 ideas to existing similar products. I chose to do this with a 2x2 matrix for each product.
-----
Self-warm Mug: Even though I found some similar products, I found out that all the mug warms require plug-ins and the only one without electricity is a stir-mug, so the battery operated mug warmer should be a new updating idea.
5555.jpg
Flannel PJ with Pillow : I haven't found any products like this! the only close one would be a snuggie, but still, nobody has ever connected a pillow with a pair of footed flannel pajamas.
3-3.jpg
Shopping Schudulizer: There are map apps, there are retail apps, there are schedulizing apps, however, nobody ever put these three together. So I just selected some similar apps to compare with.
schedulizing.jpg
Winter Bike Cover : There are some similar designs, however I have not found any fully covered bike cover, and the head umbrella ideas might not be safe while you are biking in the snow and it will slow down the speed.
4--4.jpg
Map Shopping Bag: There are no floor map shopping bags, and the only map-printed bag I found was a designer purse, so I guess this shopping bag has a lot of potential.
2-2.jpg
-----
The second part of this test was to find one related patent to each of the products. I did not find any exact matches, but was able to compare some key concepts in each patent found.
Self-warm Mug
Cup warmer
https://www.google.nl/patents/US8274016?dq=mug+warmer&hl=zh-CN&sa=X&ei=ot6eUqLlKpOMyAHAjYCwCQ&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAA
Flannel PJ with Pillow
Pajama bag/pillow
https://www.google.nl/patents/USD287801?pg=PA1&dq=pajama+pillow&hl=zh-CN&sa=X&ei=mt2eUorwJYqsyAH9poCgAw&ved=0CDsQ6AEwAA
Shopping Schudulizer
System for automating consumer shopping purchase-decision
https://www.google.nl/patents/WO2013052081A2?cl=en&dq=shopping+app&hl=zh-CN&sa=X&ei=M9yeUpeZHo3lyAHSwIG4BA&ved=0CEUQ6AEwAQ
Winter Bike Cover
Automatic foldable bicycle cover for preventing sun light and rain
https://www.google.nl/patents/CN202911866U?cl=en&hl=zh-CN&dq=Bike+cover&ei=5dueUsGVA4LlyAGlrIG4Bg
Map Shopping Bag
Advertisement-replacing type shopping bag
FEASIBLE:

Self-warm Mug

For this product, the biggest issue is to find a way to operate batteries. Batteries usually cost differetly, however, that should be the part costumers spend separately, so I will not include them in this cost calculation. usually we can use polyethylene as the mug's material and cooper for battery chips. So The average cost of polyethylene is $0.25 a pound, and I think this mug can use 1.25 pound of polyethylene, plus 0.1 pound of copper (battery chips) so the cost is: (1.25x $0.25) + (0.1x$3.18)= $0.61. A rough manufacturing cost assessment can be approximated as 10x(material cost), so the manufacturing cost is: $6.1
Flannel PJ with Pillow

The biggest concer for this product is to locate the pillow on a proper position of the back.So we need 1 pound of cotton as pillow stuffing, and cotton= $0.79/lb. We need 4 yards of flannel, and Flannels are $3.49/yard (however the flannel here is alreay manufactured, because its woven from cotton, and they are already printed, so I will not time 10 for this fabric here.) So the cost would be 10X(1X$0.79)+($3.49X4)=$21.8
Shopping Schudulizer

This is an app, so I think it will just cost $100/year for the licensing fee, and I can work on it by myself, so the cost will be $100/year.
Winter Bike Cover

The biggest concern for this product would be its weight and how to protect the bikers' safety and also keep the fast speed. We need plastic cover, cooper frames. So we can use half a pound of ABS plastic ($0.3/lb) as cover, and 1 pounds of cooper ($3.18/lb)as the frames.
10x [(0.5x$0.3)+(1x$3.18)] = $33.3
Map Shopping Bag

This is just an easy idea, I think the challenge might be how to updated different store floor maps effectively. But the bag will just cost cotton, and sewing threads. SO I think we just need 0.25 pound of cotton in this case for one bag.
10x0.25x$0.3=$0.75

Annika,

way to go on this blog post! it cover all the points it needs to and does so in a thorough way. I especially like the use of various methods in order to get the job done, IE social media poll, making your own 2x2 chart complete with pictures to show existing products.
I would have liked to see a little more information on the 2x2s such as prices of the items and perhaps and approximation of where you think your product would fall.
your cost analysis was very complete and I feel accurate. I think having a solid cost analysis does a lot for driving home the feasibility of a product.
I think your overall presentation could have been strengthened by having some sort of wrap up at the end, but as a whole this post was very strong.

Annika,

Congrats on the success of your survey, that's impressive. Your 2x2's are colorful and have enough products to get a good idea of the market. It would have been nice to see the prices of each of the products along side. You are very thorough in your blog post. Might there be areas, such as the feasibility section, that you could cut down on the amount of writing?

Jessica