Fake pilots in Indian put passenger in risk

A pilots of a private airline IndiGA, Parminder Kaur Gulati, was landing her Airbus A320-200 aircraft in Goa with the nose down, instead of raised on March, 8, and it raise passengers concern about their safety.

According to the Asia Times, the Directorate General of Civil Aviation (DGCA) had only checked a fraction of over 8,000 commercial pilot licenses under scrutiny, and there were 1,704 Indian commanders and 6,331 co-pilots registered with the DGCA

According to the Washington Post, a government-ordered investigation had exposed a nationwide network of flight schools, aviation officials and others routinely forging grade sheets, fudging logbooks and accepting bribes.

E.K. Bharat Bhushan, India's director general of civil aviation, told the Washington Post that said India's skies was not unsafe, noting because the fake pilots were only a handful of our 8,000 certified pilots. Bhushan also said 29 pilots had lost their licenses and 14 people have been arrested after Gulati's incident.

In order to graduate from an Indian aviation school, students must log 200 hours of flying time, then pass four written tests, the Washington Post reported. However, one senior pilot told the Washington Post that the questions in the tests are theoretical, irrelevant and chosen by bureaucrats who have never touched the controls of the aircraft. Therefore, he said it was why so many resort to faking their test results.

Ashok Chand, deputy commissioner of police in New Delhi's crime department, said the average bribe paid by aspiring pilots for a forged grade sheet was about $15,000, the Washington Post reported.

Among such concerns, more and more domestic air passengers were asking about who's at the controls, according to the Asia Times.

Firefighters worked overnight since the blazes in Texas burned across about 655 sq. miles, and it forced hundreds of evacuations, destroyed at least 60 homes and one firefighter was killed on Friday.

Eastland Mayor Mark Pipkin said that the firefighter, Gregory M. Simmons, 51, died while battling a 3,000-acre blaze Friday afternoon near Eastland, a town about 130 miles west of Dallas. Simmons was overcome by smoke, fell in a ditch and was consumed by the fire, according to the Star Tribune.

According to the KTXS, due to a massive wildfire, Residents who were told to evacuate Saturday were not being allowed home at this time.

Rob McCorkle, Texas Parks and Wildlife Department spokesma, said that the fire was really a bad one and this was unusual to have this many fires going across the state at the time, the Star Tribune reported.

The Star Tribune also reported that three large fires burning in Wichita County, about 150 miles northwest of Dallas near the Oklahoma border, had destroyed about 20 homes in the Iowa Park area. Also, eight more people were lost in Wichita Falls and people in surrounding communities were being told to stay alert to the fast-changing situation.

However, beside the firefighter's death, no other injuries have been reported, the Star Tribune reported.

Tornadoes destroyed South

Everything just splintered including trees and houses, at least 45 people were killed, and hundreds were injured or left homeless after tornadoes struck Oklahoma on Thursday, then swept through Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina and Virginia before moving out to sea Sunday.

One victim, Angelina McCaizie told The Associated Press she had been cooking when she saw the winds and rain mount to frightening proportions. She shepherded her children, nephew and brother into the kitchen and squatted on the floor. They waited until the storm had passed. Then she went outside and saw neighbors were bleeding or nursing broken limbs, the New York Times reported.

According to emergency management officials in the state tornadoes roared through North Carolina Saturday afternoon and evening, killing at least 22 people, and sending 130 to hospitals, some with critical injuries. The storm also destroyed 60 homes and heavily damaged 400 more, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Patty McQuillan, a public information officer for the state's Division of Emergency Management, told the New York Times that the series of tornadoes was the worst to strike the state since March 1984, when 42 people were killed.

According to the Wall Street Journal, after struck North Carolina, the storm system caused severe weather in eastern Virginia and also heavy rain in the New York City region before heading out to sea Sunday.

Residents in St. Paul's North End neighborhood rise fear of the safety after a 26-year-old man,Trevell Glass, was killed and Ryan L. Davis, 28, was wounded by gunfire about 2 a.m. Wednesday on Manitoba Avenue at Rice Street.

Jerry Born, who has owned the bar at 899 Rice St. for 38 years, told the Pioneer Press that the shooting occurred about 10 minutes after an earlier altercation at the bar. Born didn't know if the people involved in the shooting were the same people in the fight. Also, police hadn't determined if the shooting was connected to the altercation at the bar and the motive of the shooting remained unclear.

Four suspects were arrested. They were Byron Brantley, 31, was arrested on suspicion of murder. LeAndrews Miller, 27, David Keys, 24, and Xavier Buckhanan, 36, were arrested on suspicion of aiding an offender and both of them have not been charged, the Pioneer Press reported.

Gloria Balderas, a resident live near the scene, told the Star Tribune that it's a quiet neighborhood during the daytime, but at night it gets crazy. She felt scary to come home through the neighborhood. Other residents also said they often hear gunshots and often hear arguments coming from Born's Bar at night, according to the Pioneer Press reported.

Glass's cousin, Ray Williams, told the Star Tribune that Glass's family believed he was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Police said Davis was taken to Regions Hospital and he was expected to survive, according to the Star Tribune.

A car crashed 3 U students

Three students, who study at University of Minnesota, were walking on the sidewalk along 5th Street SE. heading west toward 12th Avenue Friday, and they were knocked down by a car after they saw a flash of headlight.

At about 2 a.m., Katelynn Hanson, 21, Joe Bailin, her boylfriend, and their friend Sarah Bagley, 22, were heading west toward Bailin's apartment after they left the Kitty Cat Klub in Dinkytown. They saw bright lights coming toward them on the sidewalk, the Minnesota Daily reported.

Susan Hanson, Katelynn's mother told the Minnesota Daily that a car slammed into those three students and knocked them to the ground after few seconds. It continued down the block, hitting another pedestrian, Benjamin Van Handel, 23, who was walking alone on the sidewalk at the same time.

According to the Star Tribune, Handel was in critical condition at Hennepin County Medical Center with a severe brain injury and multiple broken bones. Bagley was in satisfactory condition with a concussion, injuries to her knee and elbow, and a chipped tooth, and Hanson was released from the hospital at 6:30 a.m. Friday. In this incident, only Bailin escaped the accident.

Hanson told the Star Tribune that she felt lucky to have escaped with just a bump on her head and a sore leg. She described the crash knocked her out of her shoes and it sent her friend, Bagley, flying at least 30 feet down the street.

Minneapolis police Sgt. Steve McCarty said police were searching for a white Toyota Camry or Solara, built in the last decade, with front end damage, according to the Minnesota Daily.

Ai Wei Wei, 53, one of China's most prominent artists and an outspoken critic in China, was detained at the Beijing's airport by security agents when he tried to board a flight to Hong Kong on Apr. 3, 2011 and he was arrested on suspicion of "economic crimes on Thursday.

According to the Washington Post, this arrest appeared to the government's concern on activists in China who want to launch a "jasmine revolution" which is similar to the protest in the Middle East and North Africa.

Some anonymous began to launched "jasmine rallies" in China on the Internet, and about 26 people have been arrested, 30 have disappeared, and 200 people's movement were restricted since mid-February, the group Chinese Human Right Defenders told the Washington Post.

Nicholas Bequelin, Hong-Kong based China researcher for Human Rights Watch, told the Washington Post that this arrest was an effort by the China government to redraw the lines of permissible expression and to restrict the most outspoken advocates of global values.

The New York Times reported that "economic crimes" is frequently used as a legal cover by police officers who wish to detain or imprison someone when Communist Party officials consider them as a political threat.

Ai's mother, Gao Ying, 78, told the New York Times that the arrest was ridiculous and the government have no right to keep them guessing why and where the government was holding her son.

Indeed, Ai's movement had restricted by the government since last year. He was stopped at Beijing's airport when he wanted to fly to South Korea to attend the Nobel ceremony for Liu Xiaobo, the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize winner, faced the same charge and received an 11-year prison sentence. Also, he was prevented from having a solo exhibition of his work at a Beijing gallery this year, the Washington Post reported.

Not only Ai was arrested, but also Ai's assistants were detained and questioned in these few days. Hong Lei, a Foreign Ministry spokesman said that the Public Security Bureau was conduction an investigation according to law. China is a country under the rule of law, and relevant authorities will work according to law. Hong also said other countries have no right to interfere, according to the New York Times.

Some Chinese had denounced Ai's detention on microblogs and Web sites, and to circulate petitions demanding his release, the New York Times reported. Ai, 53, was the artistic director for the "Bird's Nest" Olympic Stadium He was an active Twitter user has 72,000 follower.

12 children were killed in Brazil school massacre

A gunman opened fire at an elementary and middle school in Brazil Thursday and 12 children were killed and 12 others were injured.

According to the New York Times, the Brazil police said that the 24-year-old gunman, Wellington Menezes de Oliveira, was a former student at the Tasso da Silveira elementary and middle school, a three-story aqua-and-yellow schoolhouse in the working-class neighborhood of Realengo, on the west side of Rio. He told a teacher who recognized him that he was there to speak to a class.

The police said Oliveira arrived at the school about 8 a.m. and he held two handguns and started to open fire violently in two first-floors classrooms after minutes. The children started to run, hide, and escape from the school. One boy escaped from the school and found a police officer, Sgt. Marcio Alves, near the school and ask him to help, the New York Times reported.

The statement from Rio de Janeiro state governor's office said Alves then arrived at the school and he shot the gunman. After Oliveira fell, he shot himself in the head, the CNN reported.

The deceased included 10 girls and 2 boys, ages 12 to 14. The shooting was planned since the police officers had found a letter in Oliveira's pocket showed that he intended to die, the New York Times reported. In the letter, he asked to be buried in Islamic traditional way and he wanted his burial to be near his adopted mother.

Students and family members were shocked by this massacre. The Rio's mayor, Eduardo Paes, said that the school would remain closed on Friday. However, Bianca Assia, whose cousin was wounded in this incident, doubted the school can be reopened. She said what mother will allow her child to go back there. Also, she said the state had to provide more security in the schools, the New York Times reported.

According to the CNN, Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff said she was shocked by the attack. She said this type of crime was uncommon in Brazil, and she considered that all of the Brazilians are united in rejecting this type of violence.

Utah sex offender is released due to his incompetency

A Utah judge released a registered sex offender who faces about 21 charges of child sex abuse because he is mentally incompetent to stand trial on Thursday.

According to the CNN, the 38-year-old sex offender, Lonnie Johnson, has been diagnosed with a cognitive disorder. Doctors who examined Johnson said his competency could not be restored and he is not a danger to society.

James Taylor, the Fourth District Judge, said at the Thursday's hearing that he was following a Utah statute requiring the release of anyone deemed incompetent to stand trial and who has not been convicted of a crime and there were no legal grounds for holding Johnson, the CNN reported.

Johnson currently faces five counts of rape of child, six counts of sodomy on a child and 10 counts of aggravated sexual abuse of a child, the CNN reported the record from the court documents. Also, in 2006, he was convicted of raping a teenage girl in Washington State and he sent to prison for third-degree rape and served less than a year. He is now required to register as a sex offender.

The Star Tribune used the Associated Press's report saying Craig Johnson, the Deputy Utah County District Attorney, encouraged the Judge Taylor allowed them to have a review in six months. Also, Taylor ordered Johnson to meet with new doctors to evaluate him again in October and a new hearing will be held on Nov.17.

Cindy Lorenz, Johnson's sister said she believes Johnson's civil and medical privacy rights had been violated, the Star Tribune reported. Johnson's family has said he is innocent of the charges. They said the accusations are related to a bitter divorce between Johnson and his wife.

Christy Danner, the mother of one alleged victim, think Johnson is faking incompetence, the CNN reported. She also said that is not the way the system works and she hopes to get Johnson back in the state of Utah and find him competent.

Utah Gov. Gary R. Herbert said that he was outraged that a convicted child sex offender could be release without being tried for current charges, the CNN reported.

STD cases has raised about 5% in Minnesota

The number of sexually transmitted diseases in Minnesota increased about 5% than last year, according to a report released Wednesday by the Minnesota Department of Health.

MDH's report told that the STD cases had increased from 16,912 in 2009 to 17,760 in 2010, the City Pages reported. The STD cases included chlamydia, syphilis, and gonorrhea. Chlamydia cases reached a record 15,294 which is the most common infection. Syphilis cases reached 347 cases which is a 62 percent spike over 2009. Gonorrhea cases were the only positive trend with 2,119 cases which is 9 percent reduction from 2009.

Peter Carr, who manages the STD program at MDH told the City Pages that it is the highest number of cases ever recorded in Minnesota in a single year since they began tracking Chlamydia back in 1986.

According to the Minnesota Daily, the teenagers and young adults ages 15 to 24 were the main group of the increase. They occupied about 70 percent of the cases. Carr said the cervix is more susceptible to Chlamydia at that age.

Also, in the 221 early stage syphilis cases, it was about 89 percent of cases involved men who had sex with other men. Therefore, MDH had launched a campaign last June to raise awareness among gay and bisexual men and plans doing it the same this year, the Minnesota Daily reported.

The Star Tribune reported that authorities worry there is growing apathy about HIV and syphilis. It be treated with antibiotics but can result in blindness, dementia and mental illness of untreated.

However, University of Minnesota has low rate of STDs. In the 2010 results, only 0.7 percent of students reported being diagnosed with Chlamydia, and no student reported being diagnosis of gonorrhea or syphilis. Dave Golden, the director of Public Health at Boynton Health Service, told the Minnesota Daily that 78 percent of students reported having one or no sexual partners in the last year could be the reason of the low rate.

Suspect killed by polices after carjacking

The 28-year-old man, Jason Barsness, carjacked a Red and White Taxi cab in the Lowry Tunnel in Minneapolis around 5 a.m. Thursday, and he was killed by police after a 40-minutes high-speed chase.

The Taxi company's general manager, Pat White, told the Star Tribune that Barsness smelled of alcohol but didn't appear drunk. The cabdriver got suspicious when Barsness provided him a north metro address. He took out the gun and robbed the driver after the driver asked Barsness how he was going to pay.

According to the KSTP, the police used spike strips on Interstate 35E at 80th Street in Columbus. The taxi then left the road and stopped in a ditch. Barsness raised a gun when police officers approached to the taxi. Therefore, the five officers opened fire, and Barsness was killed by multiple gunshot wounds. The officers who had fired their guns have been put on paid administrative leave.

The Star Tribune reported that the court records show that Barsness had some criminal record including convictions for drunken driving, disorderly conduct and domestic assault. Barsness's friend, Elysah Dawson, had received his voicemail before the incident. She still didn't believe it and had a sick feeling of it.

After the incident, the driver who robbed by Barsness spend the day at home, but he planned to return to work Friday, the Star Tribune reported.