blog 3

As using the subversion for nearly two months, I developed some basic knowledge source control. Source control system consists of some repositories and a number of clients. There are many functions that can be implemented using source control system; for example, this system enforces its own user authentication which allows the source control system to maintain updates to each file, specifically, taping the command diffs, for differences. Storing only the differences, the source control system can keep track of all changes. When you want to see a complete copy of your file, the system performs a merge of the differences, actually, these differences are kept in separate files until you merge your updates, and then you can perform a commit action. We use this approach very often in order that my partner and I are in the step. Thus, this approach allows me and my partner to work in parallel, simultaneously writing code for multiple shared projects, without the danger of an individual's code changes overwriting another's. So source control systems can protect you from code conflicts and loss of early sources. In addition, you can store related file in your source control system project. When you pull a project, or check out the project file; the newer version of the project file overwrites the older version without merging. You might share your project file among all the developers on your team, and when you check a project file into a source control system repository, the source control system overwrites older versions of the file with the newer one without attempting to merge changes.
However, there are still disadvantages to use subversion. I remember when we were doing the iteration 1; we have to move the file in "lab" directory to a new directory "project". I just copied the whole document to the new directory, then I am not able to turn in my work since there are many hidden svn file in the document, I have to delete them one by one. It took me about two hours to turn in that homework, it is nearly the same time that I wrote the code. After that, when turn in the iteration 2, I have to make sure just copy the file to a new directory, thus get rid of the hidden svn files.
In conclusion, source control has provided numbers of useful functions that can allows multiple developers to work on the same code base in a controlled manner; keeps a record of the changes made over time. In addition, allows you to support multiple releases of your software.

The hidden files and folders really annoyed me when i was trying to submit my works. I have to spend hours on it after i have finished coding. But this helps me get to know svn better and be familiar with it.

Yanjie Zhang

Hi, I had similar trouble with copying files to directories when trying to hand in the homework at first. Then later, I always choose to rm all the files in the old directory of the repository first, using "svn rm *" ,and then use "svn add *" to add all my files from my local directory to the repository. It helps save tons of time,since it avoids dealing with the hidden files issue. Hopefully we are talking about the same situation here and hope this command could help you.:)

I am strongly agree with you. The hidden ".svn" file did bother me when I was trying to submit my project. The way I deal with it is that I only copy the files I selected rather than the whole folder. Of course, another method which is mention by liux0587 also works.

Wenliang Tong