Analysis: "OSU president expenses in the millions"

In the news article "OSU president expenses in the millions," there are many data are being used, these include specific number OSU president and the school has spent and where it was spent on. For example, the reporter revealed the total approximate amount that count on the president's expense. "But his expenses -- hidden among hard-to-get records that the university took nearly a year to release -- tally nearly as much: $7.7 million."

Despite using numbers to emphasize the expenses of the president, the writer also reveals about the square feet of the president's mansion to highlight the extravagant expense by the president.

To report such news that contain a lot of data and numbers, the reporter has to have the ability to find data on the online database and the ability to better present the data. So for example, sometimes it is better to use percentage to explain the increase of a number over years. Therefore, the writer should be able to convert the raw data into certain representation that can be easily understood by the audience.

The reporters sometimes would use some tables and graphics to illustrate the story. In this particular news article, the writer include a table that shows the Ohio State University President E. Gordon Gee's discretionary spending from Oct. 1 2007 through June 30, 2012. In addition to tell the audience the discretionary spending by the president, a statistic table cited with authentic source would be more credible for the audience.

Link to the article :http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/state-regional-govt-politics/expenses-of-osu-president-run-into-millions-for-tr/nSGkK/

Minnesota's Spring-- Roller Coaster

The high temperature has lasted over the weekend and spiked to 81 on Sunday, while snow will come on Wednesday again before the temperature back to normal-- like roller coaster.

The heavy snow could come on Wednesday night in the Twin Cities.

Air temperatures are expected to remain slightly above freezing Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights, but snow-making will occur.

It could be refreshed Thursday and Friday nights. There will be a traffic mess during the rush hour on Wednesday after and Thursday and Friday morning.

National Weather Service meteorologist Jake Beitlish said the wet snow falling on warm ground should not exceed over 2 inches at most. But 3 inches is the most ever measured in the Twin Cities since 1991--snow flurries measured 0.3 inch on May 5.

But it is expected that the high temperatures will head back toward the upper 60s by Monday, by normal.

The change in weather dramatically affects people's mood.

"People seem very depressed and frustrated," the owner of Mother Earth Gardens Karen O'Connor said.

Souce: SartTrubune

Alcohol citation spike over the Spring Jam week

The alcohol citation spikes over the week of Spring Jam, totaling 26 alcohol-related citation were issued for underage drinkers, drunk driving and intoxicate public consumption.

"That's definitely more than a typical weekend," said University police Deputy Chief Chuck Miner.

Miner attributed the increase in citations to the warmer weather.

"People get some cabin fever after all these months of cold weather," he said.

A man was arrested Saturday night after attempting to punch several University police officers, according to a police report.

When the officers approached this 22-year-old student, he "immediately began swinging his arms," trying to punch them, the report said.

The officers stopped him and found an empty "bottle of prescription narcotics and a half full bottle of vodka" in his backpack.

Paramedics then transported the suspect to the University Medical Center, Fairview, and the officers cited him for obstruction of justice.

"That was probably the most exciting thing that happened at Spring Jam," Miner said.

But the police was happy with the weekend's events, Minner said.

"I don't know if I've ever seen so many people on University Avenue before," he said. "But most of them behaved themselves, so we're pretty pleased."

Source: Mndaily

Last groups of South Koreans leave North Korean factory

Most South Koreans who had remained at an industrial park in North Korea had returned home by early Tuesday morning, leaving a final seven behind to negotiate unpaid wages for North Korean workers.

The group will follow a similar group that left Saturday after stuffing their cars with as much as they could take from their factories in the North Korean city of Kaesong, located just across the border between North Korea and South Korea and arrived in the South just past midnight after officials arranged vehicles to carry them across the border.

Once the last South Koreans leave, what will become of the jointly run factory park remains unclear.

"It is only a matter of time" before the complex shuts down for good, an unnamed spokesman for North Korea's General Bureau for Central Guidance said Saturday. "We treasure the Kaesong industrial complex but won't bestow favors on those who return evil for good."

Earlier this month, 53,000 North Korean workers with-drawled by 800 South Koreans at more than 120 South Korean-run factories in a special economic zone in Kaesong. It was the most significant action taken by North Korea as tensions flared between Seoul and Pyongyang over North Korea's nuclear ambitions, joint U.S.-South Korean military drills and other perceived slights, Pyongyang pulled its entire work force out on April 9 and banned South Koreans from crossing the border to bring food and supplies.

With factories suspending operations and food supplies dwindling, Seoul said Friday will be the deadline for North Korea to agree to talks on Kaesong.

A group of businessmen with factories in Kaesong sought to visit North Korea on Tuesday but could not because Pyongyang didn't approve the trip, the Unification Ministry said.

Lee Hochul, a political science professor at Incheon National University in South Korea, noted that neither side has decided to permanently shut down the industrial complex.

"This is a war of pride between the Koreas, but they are conducting it while leaving some room for talks," he said.

Souce: Ap News, Fox News

Hundreds of personal belongings of Bob Hope and his wife Dolores including antiques, artwork and furniture will be auctioned for California Charity.

The sale will start this Saturday at St. Charles Borromeo Church in North Hollywood. This will provides essentials such as food and clothing to needy Valley residents and benefit St. Charles Holy Family Service Center in North Hollywood, where Dolores Hope was a member for 70 years--died in 2011 at the age of 102.

A wide variety of the Hopes' items will be on sale, including antiques, paintings and pictures, furniture, books, holiday decorations, silver, Americana and all sorts of knickknacks. Prices will range from $10 to several hundred dollars an item.

The couple's daughter, Linda Hope, says memorabilia from Bob Hope's long show business career will also be up for sale.

"There are beautiful linens that we used on our tables. There are a bunch of pillows that are kind of fun ""Mother used to collect them "" with sayings on them. There's going to be a large amount of religious items because my mother was very much a Catholic. People used to send her things all of the time, most of which she collected in her bedroom." Linda said.

It took a year and half for Linda to prepare for things for auction, she said.

"Little by little, the process continues here," she said, then added with a laugh, "I never knew people could accumulate so much stuff "" and so much of it lovely things. These are things that the auction people declined because they just had too much stuff, I guess, to handle it all. "

Souce: Huffington Post, Daily News

Gwyneth Paltrow, 40, was named the World's Most Beautiful Woman for 2013 by People magazine Wednesday-- a year after Paltrow's BBF Beyonce held same title.

The cover boasts that Paltrow has a "timeless look."

The "Iron Man 3" actress told the magazine her kids, Apple and Moses, can't tell the difference. She said around them, she spends much more time in comfy clothes than she does looking glamorous.

"I honestly thought someone was playing a joke on me," Paltrow told People about her reaction when she first heard she landed the top spot. "I had to reread the e-mail three times. I was like, 'This can't be true, I've developed dyslexia -- I'm not reading this right.' It's a very iconic cover in American culture, so it's just amazing."

She gave her definition of beautiful.

"I feel my most beautiful when I am truly myself. Meaning, when I accept exactly where I am in time and space, and I'm not judging myself in any way, and I feel that I have the peace that comes with loving yourself and all of your flaws," she told People. "I see so much now how beauty really does, as cliché as it sounds, emanate from within."

She said she spends much more time in comfy clothes than she does looking glamorous.

And her husband Chris Martin doesn't mind her casual at-home style, she said.

"If I've gotten fully dressed up, he'll be like, 'Oh, wow! You're Gwyneth Paltrow!' Because he's used to seeing me in like baggy shorts and frizzy hair," she said.

Paltrow said her workout routine, which she does five days a week, keeps her looking young.

"It makes me look younger and feel strong," she said. "When I first started, I thought, 'I'll never be good at this. This is a nightmare!' But now it's like brushing my teeth, I just do it."

Souce: CNN, Fox News

analysis:speech

In the news analysis, "Will the Boston Bombing Derail Immigration Reform? " the author delivered his concern over the impact of Boston Bombing on the Immigration Reform.

In terms of the choice, the author deliberately chose to emphasis on who addressed a specific opinion. For example, the author pointed out that even though the congress man Steve King seems to draw the attention of the public to look at the big image of the immigration reform that could potentially cause further concern such as the recent bombing in Boston, King is "staunch critic of immigration reform that legalizes the undocumented".

He also said that King has the attempt to use the attack to underscore his previously-held opposition to immigration reform.

In this news article, the author emphasized not only on what the congressman talked about, but also on his previous stand on the issue.

Therefore, the author has the attempt to go beyond the event itself and help the readers to understand the objectivity.

Source: ABC news

Disabled students face dangerous discipline

Disabled students get punished for disruptive outbursts with severe forms of discipline -- from forceful physical restraint to extended solitary confinement -- that are either banned or more restricted in other states.

Records from recent years also show that school staff are using dangerous physical holds and lengthy isolation often in response to minor episodes by disabled students. One 9-year-old was physically restrained 189 times over the first half of a school year. Others have been refused water or kept alone in rooms until they wet their pants.

"I thought the other boy had beaten him up, but it wasn't the other boy, it was the teacher who threw him down," said Jones, whose son has several disabilities. "To me, it was worse than you would treat an animal."

The most controversial form of discipline is a maneuver known as "prone restraint," in which students are forced to the floor and held facedown by two or three school workers for an unlimited amount of time in an attempt to subdue them. The technique, which federal officials have linked to abuse and accidental death, has been outlawed in 20 states.

"There is no evidence," the department said, "that using restraint or seclusion is effective in reducing the occurrence of the problem behaviors."

In the past five years, teachers and aides have been punched, kicked and bitten by disabled students, sometimes so severely they were forced to retire.

"I think both students and staff members may incur additional injuries if we didn't, in certain circumstances, employ prone restraint," said Sandy Lewandowski, superintendent of Intermediate District 287, a suburban Twin Cities district that takes high-needs students from other local schools.

'Not good in small rooms'

Lauren Powell was afraid to go to school.

Several times a week, the boy, then 10, would get upset and lash out. One day he slapped a teacher. Another time he tipped over a bookcase.

His punishment, Lauren said, was always the same, even if his offense was throwing a paper airplane at someone.

"I'd get dragged out of the room whenever I'd get upset," said Lauren, who has a mild form of autism. "Then they would put me in the calming room."

A typical day was recounted in an e-mail to his mother, Rachel Powell.

At Intermediate District 287, one of the state's heaviest users of prone holds, officials have been trying to find ways to help students avoid situations that lead to restraint. They are allowing disruptive children with special needs to spend more time by themselves, or asking teachers to speak more quietly to students who are sensitive to loud noises. The number of prone holds in the district dropped 40 percent this school year, Superintendent Lewandowski said, mostly because of those changes.

The district's new approach appears to be working for Lauren Powell, who transferred there last fall. He's having far fewer outbursts now that teachers reward him for doing the right thing in class, and he's finding other ways to deal with his anger.

Drug found in Biber's bus

Swedish police say they have found drugs on board a tour bus taken by Justin Bieber and nine others on the bus on Wednesday night.

A source close to Bieber insisted it was a non-story and no charges were filed.

"The cops found nothing and left. No violations. Nothing," the source told FOX 411.

Bieber's publicist had no official comment when contacted by CNN.

Police said Thursday they have no suspects and no one has been arrested. He declined to identify the drug, saying it had been sent to a laboratory for an analysis.

He says police acted after smelling marijuana coming from inside the bus when it was parked outside the hotel where Bieber was staying. The drug squad was alerted and searched the bus during the concert.

Biber responded on this issue by tweeting : "some of the rumors about me....where do people even get this stuff. whatever...back to the music."

The Stockholm concert proceeded as scheduled. Bieber's next concert is on Sunday in St. Petersburg, Russia.

Source: Fox News, CNN

Body found in river is that of Brown student

A body found floating in the Providence River was that of a 22-year-old Brown University student who had been missing for more than a month, Rhode Island officials confirmed on Thursday.

Tripathi, 22, is a philosophy major student in Brown University who had been missing since March 16, had been found by the university's men's crew team late on Tuesday.

"We have been able to conclusively determine the body is that of Sunil Tripathi, but will not be able to determine the cause of death for several months," said Dara Chadwick, a spokeswoman for the Rhode Island Department of Health.

The case received national media attention after social media websites last week lit up with a false rumor that Tripathi, who was on an approved leave from Brown, was one of the suspects in the Boston Marathon bombings.

The actual suspects have been identified as brothers Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev.

"He was seen on the 15th, Friday, hanging out with his friends, talking to family members, all normal activities, nothing out of the ordinary that anyone detected," his brother Ravi told CNN affiliate WPRI.

"As we carry indescribable grief, we also feel incredible gratitude," the family said. "To each one of you - from your hometown to many distant lands - we extend our thanks for the words of encouragement, for your thoughts, for your prayers and for the love you have generously shared."

Brown University President Christina Paxson said on Thursday: "We extend our deepest condolences to Sunil's family for their loss and for the immeasurable pain they have endured during this period."

The university plans a memorial service for Tripathi on Saturday afternoon.

Source: CNN, NBC news