Comment on Nature's new cover paper

The cover paper of this week's nature (Body plan innovation in treehoppers through the evolution of an extra wing-like appendage) raised a big question to developmental biology: although the body plans of insect are pretty stable, there are exceptions.
For most insects, the first thoracic segment does not grow any appendage. However, treehopper does. It develops a wing-like structure on this segment.
By checking the expression patterns of several wing-specific genes, the authors found the appearance of wing-like structure on the first thoracic segment in treehopper is due to a loss of function for the repression of appendage genes by a regulatory gene. In other words, the repression is removed and thus the potential of growing appendage is released. The authors further conclude that this serves as an evidence that the stability of dorsal appendage formation pattern in insects is not due to developmental constraint but to selection.
I argue that their last conclusion is likely but not solid. There are two reasons. 1) Just finding the regulation pattern of several genes correlating with appendage formation does not mean cause-and-effect relationship. Thus, there might be other important changes also contributing to the peculiarity of treehopper. With a set of mutations in a system-level that determine the appearance of the wing-like structure in the first thoracic segment, we cannot say there is no developmental constraint. 2) In order to prove that the peculiarity is due to selection, an ecological and/or behavioral study is needed to find what is special about treehopper among other insects that makes the wing-like structure in the first thoracic segment adaptive.
In conclusion, I am not convinced by their argument about selection over development constraint as the reason for stable dorsal appendage formation pattern in insects.

I keep listening to the news speak about getting free online grant applications so I have been looking around for the best site to get one.

Hi there, I found your blog via Google while searching for first aid for a heart attack and your post looks very interesting for me.

You made some good points there. I did a search on the topic and found most people will agree with your blog.

;) It's hard to beat a person who never gives up. Babe Ruth (1895-1948) American baseball player

I simply wanted to thank you a lot more for the amazing website you have made here. It really is full of ideas for those who are actually interested in that subject, in particular this very post. You're really all so sweet and also thoughtful of others as well as reading the blog posts is an excellent delight in my experience. And what generous surprise! Dan and I will certainly have excitement making use of your tips in what we need to do in the near future. Our checklist is a distance long which means your tips will certainly be put to great use.

Train delayed on the one day that I have an observation during first period. Genius!!!

I played the drink game with water and i was puking halfway through

Excellent information and facts. Only real problem I was getting was loading your images. No idea why exactly.

Great info. One problem I seemed to be experiencing was viewing your images. No clue why.

I already have a guilty conscience... I might as well have the money too. - Wyatt Earp

If you want to live a happy life, tie it to a goal, not to people or things. ~ Albert Einstein

Is Malta famous for anything?

Nice post at Comment on Nature's new cover paper - Evolution through mechanistic lens. I was checking continuously this blog and I'm impressed! Extremely helpful info particularly the last part :) I care for such info a lot. I was seeking this certain information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

Hi nice art! i'm Tenisha Babino and i add "Like" (facebook) to Comment on Nature's new cover paper - Evolution through mechanistic lens

Hi nice art! i'm Fatima Scheppke and i add "Like" (facebook) to Comment on Nature's new cover paper - Evolution through mechanistic lens

Comment by discount tires — 2012/04/14 @ 05:13

Op http://hoegeldmaken.nl wordt er duidelijk hoe u geld kunt verdienen op de beurs en hoe u rijk wordt door te beleggen. €4.000,- per maand verdienen is geen uitzondering en is goed mogelijk, ook voor u!

Very nice work! Thats the best blog ever!! Thats a premium blog!

This actually answered my problem, thank you!

Great post,thanks,That is what I really want to know.

Great blog, continue the good work! Here is Best SEO! We Provide Ourselves For Keeping The Lowest Possible Price!

Pankaj is providing SEO Services India to HappyAppu, Australia's best online shopping site. Melbourne Online Florist and fresh Flower shop delivering flowers to Melbourne seven days a week. Online Florist with Melbourne flower delivery service. Buy Vedic Books Online and Flower with HappyAppu.

WOW! Remarkable and well deserved.

Needed to post you one very small note just to say thanks a lot over again about the marvelous

This web site definitely has all of the information I needed concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask.

Whats up are using Wordpress for your blog platform? I'm new to the blog world but I'm trying to get started and create my own. Do you require any coding expertise to make your own blog? Any help would be greatly appreciated!