« Community Service Reflection | Main | The Renewal of Minneapolis - Critical Response 2 »

Is China Ready to Embrace Sustainability? - Critical respond 1

MDG: Ensure Environmental Sustainability - Section 7

According to UN, to achieve this MDG, integrating the principles of sustainable development into country policies and programmes and reversing loss of environmental resources are essential. The problem of environmental sustainability commonly takes place in developing countries without awaring the severe the situations are. My country - China, is one of the problematic countries and I am one of the ignorant citizens of China. I feel ashamed of that.

A group in my discussion did a good job in this MDG project, in which they investigated the situations in eastern China. They sucessfully pointed out the many serious environmental problems such as overpopulation, massive pollutions in some area, energy abuse, chaotic urban planning etc. The whole presentation is such a shocking education process for me because I grew up in a fairly nice area in eastern China and I've never seen a massive trash mountain or yellow dusty skies. I began to doubt what my eyes have seen and what is the truth of China.

china_calello_431.jpg

Over the next two decades, China’s urban population is projected to increase by 250 million people; these city dwellers use up to 3.5 times more energy than rural denizens. Yet China has relatively few fuel resources, and burning coal—its most plentiful fossil fuel—has polluted the country and contributed to the acid rain that falls in one-third of Chinese cities.

In the group's realm of response section, they investigated the Chinese governmental policies resonding to the existing environmental issues. China announced a plan in 2006 to combat widespread pollution and leave a better environment for future generations. The plan, approved by the State Council, or cabinet, focuses on pollution controls and calls for the country to clean up heavily polluted regions and reverse degradation of water, air and land by 2010. The government has previously responded to environmental crises largely on a piecemeal basis. The latest plan appears to be a broader strategy in keeping with the government's newly stated emphasis on seeking sustainable development after years of breakneck growth. Among the most urgent problems cited by the its report were acid rain, soil pollution, organic pollutants, potential risks from nuclear facilities and a decline in biodiversity. Evidence of the negative effects of years of rapid industrialization, uncontrolled construction and widespread use of farm chemicals can be seen everywhere in China, from the biggest cities to the deep countryside.

china dustbin.jpg

The other thing this group pointed out is that these policies/plans toward resolving the environmental problems are sometimes deactivated by governors for some unkown reason. If China follows these sustainability plans, the country will essentially commit itself to reconstructing a sizable portion of its built environment. In fact, China would embark on one of the largest rebuilding projects in world history. But there are some who doubt the extent to which the former Communist country will carry through with its green intentions. Like many other developing countries, China needs time to grow to be mature. So please be patient.

I'm not one of those blind nationalists but I feel innately responsible toward my country. I'm glad that I had the chance to understand my country's current situation more fully and thoroughly from different perspective, and finally construct a fairly true one on my own. So thank you group7 for choosing China as your region to respond. The last thing I want to say is that we don't really wear masks in eastern China or China in general.

mask.jpg