Recently in Local News Category

Six killed in head-on crash near Cambridge

Six people, including three teenagers, were killed in a head-on crash west of Cambridge, the Pioneer Press reported.
The Minnesota State Patrol says one of the drivers, a 16-year-old girl who got her license less than three weeks ago, was hospitalized in serious condition.
According to the partrol, the 16-year-old was driving a car carrying four passengers headed west on Highway 95 when it collided with a sports utility vehicle heading east. No one in the car was wearing seat belts.
A patrol spokesperson said a 15-year-old-girl, two boys, ages 16 and 17 years old, and a 21-year-old man in that car were killed.
The two people who in the other vehicle, an Oldsmobile Bravada, also died and were severely burned, the Star Tribune said.
The crash occurred at 2:40 a.m., and the identities of the victims have not been released. The roads were wet at the time of the crash.

Woman shot dead, husband injured in St. Paul

A woman was shot dead and her husband was shot and seriously injured in a St. Paul home Sunday morning, the Star Tribune reported.
Police said the gunfire happened in the 1700 block of Minnehaha Avenue. The 25-year-old woman was killed and her husband, 27, was seriously wounded with a leg injury. The man was taken to Regions Hospital, where he was treated and released. He was then brought to police headquarters for questioning.
Sergeant Paul Schnell said no further details were known about the circumstances leading to the shooting or who fired the shots.
Police were notified of a suspected burglary around 6:30 a.m., and were informed of the shooting as they were on their way to the house, the Pioneer Press said.
Only the husband and wife were home at the time of the shooting. Schnell said.
"The circumstances of this shooting remain a major focus for investigators," Schnell said. "At this point, we simply do not have enough details to be able to speak with any certainty about the circumstances or the public risk."

Shoreview woman arrested for paying to have girlfriend beat

A Shoreview woman has been charged with paying someone to beat her girlfriend, who was killed three years ago, a year before the slaying, the Star Tribune reported.
Dianna M. Siveny, 50, was charged in Wisconsin on Friday with solicitation of substantial battery and being party to criminal damage to a property. She was arrested Friday in Ramsey County and was then held before transferring to Appleton, Wis., where she used to live.
Prosecutors say Siveny and her daughter paid a man $300 in 2006 to attack Lara Plamann, her domestic partner, with a baseball bat.
The man admitted to investigators that he was told to break bones and inflict substantial damage, but did not because another person was at Plamann's home at the time of the planned assault.
Plamann died in October 2007 after she was shot in the head. Her body was found in a shed at the Greenville home she shared with Siveny, the Pioneer Press said.
No charges have been filed against Siveny in connection with Plamann's death, but the investigation is still continuing, according to Outagamie County district attorney Carrie Schneider.

Husband kills wife, then himself in Columbia Heights

A man shot his wife and then himself Saturday afternoon in front of a Columbia Heights restaurant, the Star Tribune reported.
Construction crews nearby heard gunshots around 10 a.m., and police received calls about the shots shortly thereafter.
When police arrived they found two people dead of what appeared to be gunshot wounds. Police described it as a domestic incident, and said it only involved the husband and wife.
The shooting occurred in the parking lot of Asia Chow Mein shortly before it was supposed to open. Police believe they pulled into the parking lot and then killed each other, the Pioneer Press said.
Authorities did not identify the victims Saturday, but they are believed to be Josef and Natalia Tomasovic.
Police said a motive for the incident was unclear but a relative said Natalia had made plans to leave her husband.

Man arrested after standoff with police in Cottage Grove

A 28-year-old man from Cottage Grove was arrested by police after a four-hour standoff with police at his house with a 2-year-old child inside the house, the Star Tribune said.
The girl was not hurt during the standoff and was returned to her mother, according to police.
Cottage Grove police were sent to the 7400 block of 96th Street after 11:30 p.m. Friday night after reports of gunshots were reported. When police arrived, they spotted a man who lived at the home at the back of the house and heard another gunshot.
When police tried to confront the man, he went inside the house, and refused to come out. Police eventually made contact with the other people in the house, and two woman and an infant left the house, but a 2-year-old girl was still inside the house, the Pioneer Press reported.
The Washington County Special Response Team surrounded the house and tried to contact the man. Eventually they obtained an arrest warrant and entered the house around 3:45 a.m. Saturday.
The suspect was taken into custody and booked into the Washington County jail in Stillwater.

Woman dies after rescued from Hugo pond

A Lino Lakes woman died Saturday evening at a local hospital several hours after her SUV plunged into a pond in Washington County, the Star Tribune reported.
Sheriff's deputies were called Saturday afternoon to Oneka Parkway and Frenchman road, where they discovered the car was underwater.
A dive team from Washington County was called in and rescue workers were able to pull Debbie Joy Porterfield, 42, from the Ford Explorer by breaking a passenger window and pulling her out. She was the only passenger in the car.
Porterfield was taken to Regions Hospital in St. Paul. Although she initially had a pulse, she was not breathing on her own, and later died at the hospital, hospital officials said.
The SUV was removed from the pond, and investigators are investigating how the car entered the water, the Pioneer Press said.

Small plane crashes in Eden Prairie; two injured

A twin-engine airplane crashed Thursday after take-off from Flying Cloud Airport in Eden Prairie, the Pioneer Press reported.
The pilot, Alvin Bites, 56, and passenger, Timothy Jacobson, 58, were rescued from the plane by emergency workers and remained conscious and alert. They were taken to Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis, and were in stable condition as of Thursday night.
The crash occurred around 2:50 p.m., when the Beechcraft plane headed to New Richmond, Wis., ended up partially submerged after landing in a swampy area along the Minnesota River. The plane had just taken off from the airport when it lost power and crash-landed, the Star Tribune said.
The cause of the crash is under investigation by the Federal Aviation Administration, and a spokesperson for the FAA said the plane was owned by a Farmington company.
The plane was said to be in good condition, and it was unclear whether the breezy weather at the time was a factor.

Kowalski's Market recalls some hams

Kowalski's Markets have issued a voluntary recall of some hams that may be contaminated with Listeria, a bacteria that causes flu-like symptoms, the Star Tribune reported.
All hams under the private label "Kowalski's Signature Smoked Ham" with the sell-by date of May 14 have been recalled, according to the grocer's Web site.
The store has also recalled Kowalski's Signature Smoked hams with a sell-by date of April 23 through May 22 as a precaution.
Lorentz Meats, the producer of the hams, believe they have recalled all products in question, and estimate there are no more than 100 hams affected that Kowalski's sold.
Customers who purchased one of the recalled hams can receive a full refund of call 651-755-2400 for a replacement ham delivered by Kowalski's.

Mistrial declared in death of baby

A mistrial was declared Saturday night in the trial of a North St. Paul man accused of killing his girlfriend's 9-week-old baby after the jury was unable to come to a verdict, the Pioneer Press reported.
The trial of Louis D. Jones, 26, was ended by Ramsey County District Judge M. Michael Monahan after the jury could not reach a verdict after 15 hours.
Jones was on trial for the death of Rhania Jones, his girlfriend's baby who he considered his own. Rhania died on March 4, after suffering bleeding in her brain, retinal hemorrhaging, and brain swelling in an incident on Feb. 27.
Prosecutors said Rhania was a healthy baby before the incident, and the cause of death was from complications from nonaccidental abusive head trauma, which is considered a homicide.
The defense said assumptions had been made to quickly that Rhania was abused, and argued there was no evidence of a crime.
The jurors began deliberating at 11:30 a.m. Friday, and deliberated until 9 p.m., picking up again at 9 a.m. Saturday morning. Defense attorneys and prosecutors are scheduled to meet with the judge on Monday to discuss proceedings.

Stillwater lift bridge reopens to traffic

The Stilllwater Lift Bridge reopened to traffic Friday night, after closing earlier in the week due to fears of flooding, the Star Tribune reported.
The bridge was closed Tuesday due to high water and ice from the St. Croix River that rose to the girders of the bridge.
It was expected the bridge would be closed for more than a week, but the Minnesota Department of Transportation declared the water had reached safe levels again. The barricades were removed, and the electrical components have been reconnected, the Pioneer Press said.
The bridge shuttles over 16,000 vehicles a day between Minnesota and Wisconsin, and has not been closed since 2001, when the river rose to 692.35 feet above sea level.

About this Archive

This page is an archive of recent entries in the Local News category.

International News is the previous category.

National News is the next category.

Find recent content on the main index or look in the archives to find all content.