Values

| | Comments (1)

There are a lot of values that come along with tennis. Some values are philosophical values, physiological values, psychological values, sociolological values, and economic values.

Philosophical values are the values in tennis that are easily recognized. The first thing is the value of learning the sport and the skill of the sport. This is a skill you can continue to use until you are unable to more around and be mobile. Tennis provides a good balance with everyday activities such as going to school. Tennis gives yourself a rest from thinking about homework, tests and teachers that you don't want to think about. Tennis also gives you the confidence that will assure you of a life long pleasure. It gives your life balance and a feel of being complete.

Physiological values are the functioning of the body. Tennis can contribute to increased muscular development and efficient cardiovascular respiratory and organic functioning, increased arm, leg, and lower body strength, agility, coordination, and balance, stamina and endurance and weight control.

Psychological values are the values that people put forth every day. This includes going to school, going to work, working out, and hanging with friends. Today we tend to have certain priorities that come first and tennis should be one of those priorities. Tennis can help release tension built up throughout the day, provide and outlet for anger or frustration, and can get rid of aggression in a good, positive way. Tennis help to clear your mind of confusion and is a good distraction that can help you think positively after it.

Sociological values. Society has been known for pressures and nonconformists and isolationists and there is a need for a congenial social outlet. Tennis meets this need. It gives people a change to get together with each other and socialize and enjoy on e another's company while you are doing physical fitness that is called tennis. It is a coeducational setting that lets people make new friends and practice sportsmanship. Tennis is great at helping to trim up your manners and it helps you practice your verbal communication with others in a nonaggressive way that. Controlling your emotions is a huge factor of tennis and playing with others lets you practice this skill and others and will give you self-confidence in any situation.

Economical values show that choosing tennis as a professional sport ranks higher than golf. Besides being a professional athlete in tennis many other individuals are starting to take careers in the tennis field as teaching tennis in schools, universities, private clubs, housing enters, and recreation centers. Tennis has shown to be a legitimate professional career option on and off the court. You could be a teacher, coach or a tournament competitor.

For more reading: 'Tennis' by Barry C. Pelton

History

|

A long time ago the term Physical education was coined and the materials involved are the human body and its capacity to move and perform doing various skills.

Tennis was invented in Ancient Greece in the early 14000's and was called sphairistike. That is quite an unusual name and it actually means 'court tennis' or 'racquets'. Major Clopton Wingfield is credited with introducing tennis in England and Mary Outerbridge then introduced it to the Untied states. S as you can see tennis was created outside the U.S. and it was then brought to the U.S.

Some interesting dates in tennis are:

1881 The United States Lawn Tennis Association was organized. It is now the USTA.

1968 The beginning of Open Tennis. The first time in history of the sport that amateurs and professionals competed in the same tournament.

1970 The first women's pro tour

1975 World Team Tennis league set up a league that is like other professional sports in that various cities buy team franchises, draft team players, have playoffs, and sponsor all star competition.

As you can see there are some important dates in tennis' history. The year women had their own tour is very important! It also shows just how long it took for women to be accepted in the sport. Also the dates show what aspects of tennis are still around and what aspects are not around anymore. The USTA is a huge factor in the tennis world still today and has only grown since 1881. The World Team Tennis league is one that is not completely still around today. There are still hint of it still around such as competitions and having all star players but the league in general isn't like it was back in 1975.

With tennis being one of the worlds fastest growing sports in both spectators and participants it's easy to see how the sport has evolved and grown. Some of the huge factors that have made tennis so popular are the television and newspaper coverage. The men and women that were first printed in newspapers and shown on T.V. are not the legends of the sport that we refer to today and all that they have accomplished.

Money came to be a big factor in the sport once the matches were being played on national television. This made more people want to participate in the sport because they would be making money, and a good amount of money too! With the coverage on T.V. thei smade people want to go and watch live tennis so the ticket sales increased the salary of players. Today advertising plays such a big factor that that lets the players earn even more money then they were earning in the 90's.

For more information on tennis read 'Tennis by Barry C. Pelton

Evolution

|

"Few sports have evolved dramatically in the past forty years, or been so utterly transformed by technology. Today's (tennis) game: the giant carbon- fiber racquets, strings that send every shot spinning and dipping over the court has been refined and elaborated for more than a century."

This quote comes from The New Yorker. Burkhard Bilger wrote it. That quote stood out to me because It tells us some things that have evolved in the game of tennis. The racquets being one of the biggest, if not the biggest thing that has been evolved from wooden racquets to the carbon racquets that we have today. It went from heavy racquets to racquets that hardly weigh anything. Even the stringing of the racquets has evolved and changed throughout the span of the sport.

Bilger goes on to talk about doubles and he uses the Brian brothers, the best U.S doubles team, as his example. He talks about how doubles is a "synchronized motion and tennis is a game that favors strategy over strength, quickness over endurance, net play over ground strokes." He goes on to say that this is the tennis people forgot. Today, singles is more popular over doubles and the singles players don't go to net as often as they did in the past. This is because of the equipment used today. The equipment used today let players stay back at the baseline and play ground strokes back there. You can be just as effective, if not more by playing at the baseline.

Playing doubles sharpens your net play and can help make you a more all-round player that is comfortable playing coming to the net and playing those shots.

Technology in tennis started when manufactures created the T-2000 racquet. This started a race to make racquets lighter, stiffer, and hard-hitting. First was graphite, then ceramic, then fiberglass, Kevlar, titanium, boron, and there were even more exotic materials. One downside to creating these new racquets was that the more powerful equipment meant that the player must become stronger to be able to get the full potential out of the racquet.

The final thing Bilger talks about is that as the game has sped up with technology this has forced the players to sharpen their skills and quicken their anticipation. He also says "as much as technology has evolved the players have been the real ones evolving." I agree with what he says because if tennis players didn't adhere to the new racquets we wouldn't have the champions we have today. Players evolved along with technology and continue to evolve today with new racquets and strings that come available.

The body and tennis

|

Have you ever wondered, as a tennis player, what happens to our body as we grow older?

As a tennis player who has played throughout her life I have experienced how a body can become very fit and can get better with practice or after not playing for a while you can feel that your body needs to get used to the fitness of tennis. I recently looked at a few books to see what a body goes through as people age and for people who are over fifty.

The books I looked at were Tennis past 50 by Trabert/Witchey and Tennis Fundamentals by Carol Matsuzaki. They both are great books that talk about tennis as a life long sport and they talk about how to improve your game and how to live the right lifestyle of a tennis player.

One of the things Trabert mentions in his book was that as tennis players age and get older we have to "play smarter, not harder." I love this quote because it says exactly what I have been thinking about throughout my time writing this blog. In the tennis world as we age we do not move the same as we did when we were young so we have to adjust our game and make it versatile to different playing styles when we are older. The most obvious way to do this is to play shots smarter and not hit the ball with as much force as we possible can. When hitting our forehands and backhands we have to think about he placement and execution more than hw hard we can hit the ball over the net.

Another specific quality that the author talks about is having strength, endurance and flexibility. This can be very effective in match play or even to help you not get an injury. It can help you keep up your match play throughout practice or a game. Not only can this help you be effective on the court but it can help you in your life outside the court as well. Having strength, endurance, and flexibility can help you if you play other sports or just going about your everyday activities.

Since tennis has many playing types having strength, endurance and flexibility can help you in all areas of play. Whether you like to play at the baseline, serve and volleyer or if you are an all courter these qualities can help you throughout the court.

Having strength, endurance and flexibility is great but one more thing that is crucial in tennis is how you recover after a match or even how you recover after practicing. You must make sure you cool down and stretch out so you do not create any injuries or provoke injury. You must stretch out, drink fluids to rehydrate your body after a grueling match or practice, and lastly you should treat any injuries that you may have in the correct way a physical told you to.

Tennis= Happy, Healthy

|

Why play tennis? Well according to the Dessert news article I read tennis can make a person healthier, happier, smarter and slimmer.

The amount of tennis players has increased in the past years and that could be from the benefits that players are seeing. According to Dr. Jack L. Groppel:

-People who participate in tennis three hours per week cut their risk of death in half from any cause.

-Tennis players score higher in vigor, optimism and self-esteem, and lower in depression, anger, confusion, anxiety and tension than other athletes and nonathletes

-Since tennis requires alertness and tactical thinking, it may generate new connections between nerves and the brain

-Tennis outperforms golf, inline skating and most other sports in developing positive personality characteristics.

-And competitive tennis burns more calories than aerobics, inline skating or cycling.

-He also writes that tennis helps, among other things, to increase speed, leg strength, agility, bone strength and density, flexibility and eye-hand coordination.

So play tennis and you could see some of the benefits listed above. Tennis isn't that hard of a game. Just hit the fuzzy yellow ball over the net and hope it doesn't come back to you. Definitely easier said then done! But whether your good at it or not it can be a fun sport to play.

Not only can tennis be good for yourself but it can be good for playing other sports as well. It can teach you techniques and lessons that can be used in other sports or the techniques and lessons you have learned from other sports could help you with your tennis game.

Article:http://www.deseretnews.com/article/700048170/Tennis-makes-you-healthier-happier-smarter-slimmer.html

Over fifty and still playing

|

Why can tennis benefit us when we are older?

Tennis can have many wonderful benefits and one of those include being able to still have the skills to play when you are over fifty years old. Tennis can definitely take a toll on your body and when your say fifty years old you wont be moving and paying the same as you were in your twenties, but you will still be able to move around and play a new game of tennis. This game may have you moving slower but it gets you to focus on your shot placement and really go for your shots. You will use less energy this way and it will have your partner scrambling.

An article I looked at called "Strengthening active older adults for better tennis fitness and health" talked about tennis for people over the age of fifty said that general exercises people should be doing when they are this age are regular strength training, resistance exercises, and stretching exercises. This will help you live a healthy life for over the age of fifty. The article goes on to say that specifically playing tennis can give you performance power and gives you strength training.

The article also goes on to say that eating healthy and getting enough calories can give you the fuel you need to be successful. I think this is true in anything we do. Getting the fuel we need and the right foods give us energy to go about our routines and be active. And of course drinking enough fluids keeps our body healthy as well. Rest. Everyone needs rest. Having the proper rest can always make us feel good and make our day better by not feeling so glum.

Playing tennis can improve strength in your upper body, legs, and midsection. This can come from forehands, serves, volleys, overheads, etc. Another key factor is the movement you do all over the court. This can greatly improve your strength.

If you are interested in reading the article here is the link: http://web.ebscohost.com.libpdb.d.umn.edu:2048/chc/pdf?vid=5&hid=17&sid=894c32f5-ce35-4d3a-8086-dd7972a4b321%40sessionmgr11

For the next blog I am wondering how does playing tennis affect our mental ability? Is there any correlation between our brain and tennis? If there is how much of an impact is there?

Why play tennis?

| | Comments (1)

The USTA. The united States Tennis Association. The website of everything tennis and one of the websites I visit daily to see what's going on in the world of tennis. On this website I found an article about the health benefits of tennis and why you should play.

In this article called "Health Benefits of Tennis: Why Play Tennis?" (http://www.playerdevelopment.usta.com/content/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=114688&itype=7418) the author talks about the physical and psychological reasons. He points out that some of the physical benefits of playing tennis throughout your life are: gross motor control and fine motor control, bone strength and density, and eye hand coordination.

Some of the psychological reasons why tennis can be beneficial to you are: it helps you develop a work ethic, learn to compete one-on-one, accommodate stress efficiently, learn sportsmanship, develop social skills and learn teamwork.

Both the physical and psychological reasoning are important in our lives and are key factors in life qualities. By playing tennis you can learn these qualities and more without you actually realizing you are doing them. They are like the extras that can come along with playing tennis.

One big point that he points out that is the most important part of the article is when he says "There may be other sports that can provide excellent health benefits and some which can provide mental and emotional growth. But no sport other than tennis has ever been acclaimed from all disciplines as one that develops great benefits physically, mentally and emotionally."

This part of his article I think says a lot. He says that there could be other sports that can be beneficial for us in both physical and psychological ways but tennis can do all of that and its one sport. There are other sports that challenge you physical and mentally but how many can do that all at once? From what this article says I would say that tennis is the only one.

Welcome to my blog

| | Comments (1)

My name is Jessica and I am a student at UMD. Besides being a student and doing homework I love playing tennis when I have the chance. Tennis has been a life long hobby for me. I started paying tennis when I was seven and have continued to play throughout my life. Tennis has always been something that I can do with friends or something that can distract me from whatever's going on in my life.

Having played tennis so long it got me thinking about what benefits can come from playing, if there are any benefits at all. I feel like there can be a lot of good qualities in tennis to be a life long sport that could still be enjoyable when people are eighty.
Tennis for me has always been about being able to get a group of friends, or go by myself, and go out to the courts and just have fun and have some enjoyable competition. Being able to go out and smack the tennis ball around the court is a stress reliever for me.

This blog will focus on what the benefits there are of having tennis be a life long past time. I am writing this blog for a research article I will be writing in a few months. Along the way I hope to be able to educate people on tennis and maybe get a few more people interested in the sport. My goal for this blog is to educate people on the subject of tennis.

Some questions I would like to answer as the semester progresses are: What are the health benefits of having tennis be a lifelong pastime? Are there any social benefits? Can playing tennis improve our intelligence? Does popularity affect the way we view tennis as a sport?