Response to Goal 6: Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria, and other diseases

This is a powerful topic in today's world, even in the United States. I found it astonishing that in South Africa over 10% of the population has HIV. That is a huge number of poeple. It is unfortunate that there is no cure for it today. All we have are preventative techniques. However, working in another country is tough when cultures around the world are so diverse.

Like this group said, there are so many factors that contribute to the high rate of HIV/AIDS. The government is a big problem, because they are slightly ignorant of the truth about the virus and disease. The government is also at a disadvantage with money, or chooses to use their money in different ways. This is why corporations are so important. They have the finances to help these people. But how do they do that if there is no cure? Education.

This, however, brings us back to culture. You can tell people what they should do, but many times the culture of the country will prevent them from taking your advice. In the United States it is less acceptable to have multiple partners than in South Africa, for instance, where polygamy is common. I don't think you can tell them to stop doing such an important part of their history. I don't know a lot about the people South Africa, but I do know that there are people in the United States that do not believe in birth control as a good way to prevent pregnancy/disease. It may be against their beliefs to use birth control, so telling them they can prevent HIV by using a condom, could be something they are not comfortable with. This needs to be considered.

A major concern about corporations, as stated by the group, is the face that they are misinformed or are lacking information about AIDS. If a corporation does not know what they are traveling across the world to "preach", are they going to do any good? Honestly, they will probably will do a lot of good, but knowing what is going is very important.

Response to Goal 4: Reduce Child Mortality

Goal 4: Reduce Child Mortality

I think this group did a really nice job on their presentaion of this goal. Child mortality is such an emotional subject and they handled it extremely well. I found myself getting really into what they were saying. Since this was the second or third time Feed My Starving Children was mentioned, I looked the organization up online and I am very interested in checking it out.

The idea I liked most about Partners for Development , the organization they researched, was the idea that they work with the people of the country directly. I think this is so important because, like we talked about, the education is a big part of what is missing.

The group was concerned about the fact that Partners for Development had no data from their work. While one could think of this as a downfall in the organization, one could also base this on the fact that they get involved with individuals. If even one child is saved, the organization is succeeding. We can sometimes forget the vaule of one life.

An average of 3.08 children are born per woman in Cambodia. This number sheds light on the situation. It seems it does have to do with the country as a whole, not just families that have too many children. Another important topic to consider is the culture. Organizations would have to learn a lot about another culture before trying to intervene in the daily life of the people.

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Today I got an email from the director at the school I volunteer at. Jake has dropped out of school, with his parents' permission, to work. I don't know exactly how I feel about the situation. I do know that I feel sad. It is unfortunate for Jake and a disappointing way to end my year of tutoring.

Friday, April 18, 2008

I went to tutor today, Jake was not at school and hadn't been all week.

Friday, April 11, 2008

I went to tutor today, there were no students in the building. hmmm...

Title Pages

Prompt: Design three title page options for your Research Project.

Cover Sheet 1.jpg

Image: http://www.endpoverty2015.org/arab-regionnews/high-level-group-sets-priorities-achievieng-education-all/18/dec/07

Cover Sheet 2.jpg

Image: http://www.endpoverty2015.org/universal-educationnews/oxfam-launches-health-and-education-%E2%80%98-all%E2%80%99-global-call-action/27/sep/07

Cover Sheet 3.jpg

Image:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6d/BlankMap-Africa.png

Image: http://crs-blog.org/africa/rescuing-a-child-from-a-gold-mine/

Friday, March 14, 2008

When Jake was told to remind his teacher his tutor was here today, he said he had already reminded her yesterday. The supervisor told me that was a good sign. Jake is not trying to scare me as much anymore. He likes it when I say, "Woah, slow down, let's do that part again" so he makes mistakes on purpose, which I find interesting. I always try to ask him about what he wants to do when he graduates. Today he finally gave me an answer. He said he wants to be a mechanic. I told him it was a good thing he is working so hard on his math because it might come in handy.

Close to the end of the school day, all of the students began to come into the commons area. They were having popsicles and just relaxing until the end of school. Jake wanted to move to a different area so that it was not so noisy. He was going to actually sit and do math, which he tells me everyday he does not like, instead of eating popsicles and relaxing. I thought this was pretty neat.

Presentation/Documentation Ideas

Prompt: Look for and document some examples of presentation/documentation
styles that your term project may take as inspiration.

dont-talk-to-me.jpg
http://www.nataliedee.com/031707/dont-talk-to-me.jpg

Compliments of my wonderful and fantastic friend, Jayne!!! :)

Continue reading "Presentation/Documentation Ideas" »

Friday, March 7, 2008

They did not have school the past two Fridays, so this is only the second time I have worked with Jake. When I got there, the kids were just finishing up lunch. I went to the supervisor's office and she went to go find Jake. I waited in her office and when she came back she said that he would meet us after he was done eating. However, then we could not find him. When we finally did, the supervisor said, "We thought you left..." to which he responded, "Well I was going to."

We did some long division, it was a good review for me. I saw that Jake knew what he was doing, but he struggled with his basic math facts. After he finished his packet we talked while he finished his social studies project and repeatedly said he wanted to leave. When it was actually time to go, I thanked him for not leaving after lunch, or early...

Friday, February 15, 2008

Today was the first day of my tutoring. I am tutoring a seventeen year old young man. Today, we were just supposed to get to know eachother. When I got there he and his partner were just about to start playing a math game that teaches percents, so we all played together...well sort of.... Jake* tried to take a nap. (*name changed) To keep him from actually falling asleep, I started asking questions.

"So, Jake, what kind of things do you like to do outside of school?"
-"I like to drink a lot, do drugs...a lot of different drugs..."
"Oh goodness, anything else?"
-"Not really."
"Okay, um...it is your turn."

I was a bit shocked that this was the first thing he told me about himself. He continued on to tell me other things like this. However, by the end of the time I spent with him that day, I figured out what he was trying to do. I am pretty sure he was trying to scare me a little bit. I guess I can understand. I am sure I did look quite nervous and like I had never seen a place like this before...which I haven't. He also admitted to me he only does marajuana...not "a lot of different drugs". This will be an experience...

Tuesday, February 5th, 2008

Today, I went to meet with my volunteer supervisor. I was a bit nervous about the bus ride and finding it, but I was successful. The meeting was just fine. We set up my schedule and filled out a couple forms. It really only took about 15 minutes. However, I had a bit of trouble on the bus ride back to campus. I did not get off where I should have and then did not want to get off somewhere I was not familiar with...which is just about everywhere. I figured the bus would just loop back around...but I guess I was wrong. I ended up having to get on the lightrail and taking that back to meet up with the 16 bus. I was late to lecture...

..."Everything grows, everything has a season..."

Prompt: Explore through image and text how the built environment affects (supports or detracts) who you are. Speculate in terms of frameworks, clockworks, phenomena and oppositions.

Autumn-2006-4-small.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/complexfishing/complexities.html

"Look at the earth bringing forth fruit and flower,
Look at the sky the sunshine and the rain.
Look at the hills, look at the trees and mountains,
Valley and flowing river, field and plain.
Think of the spring, think of the warmth of summer
Bringing the harvest before winter’s cold.
Everything grows, everything has a season,
till it is gathered to the Father's fold..." ~Look at the World (John Rutter)

I would like to say that this is how I see the world and that our current way of life, this built environment, is wrong and harmful and not what our "higher power", who or whatever that may be, intended for us. However, I cannot honestly say that.

Continue reading "..."Everything grows, everything has a season..."" »

Set Free

Prompt: If you were completely released from the constraints of the 'architecture school' program, what would you do architecturally, artistically, bodily, lyrically, etc that would still have an impact on your environment. Describe a rea or imagined place which might allow you to do this. Explore through images and text.

If I was "set free" from architecture school, it is hard to say what I might do. Infact, lately, I have been racking my brain for what other subjects interest me. Music, math, dance, gymnastics, kids...Music.

Continue reading "Set Free" »

Millenium Development Goal 2: Achieve Universal Primary Education

6 Papua New Guinea.jpg

It takes a village to raise a child. ~ African Proverb

School children at the Kendriva Vidvalava School in Delhi, India.jpg

We must not believe the many, who say that only free people ought to be educated, but we should rather believe the philosophers who say that only the educated are free. ~ Epictetus

untitled.bmp

Establishing lasting peace is the work of education; all politics can do is keep us out of war. ~ Maria Montessori

viet8053.jpg

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world. ~ Nelson Mandela

I believe that education is a basis for all the Millenium Development Goals. Education does not only help individuals, but the world as a whole. Because we can only change what we are informed about, the world would be a much better place if everyone had an education. Every person has the right to an educaiton and it is the only thing that cannot be taken away from you.

Songs:

Barry Manilow: I Am Your Child

Michael Jackson: Heal the World

Barbra Streisand: Children Will Listen

Continue reading "Millenium Development Goal 2: Achieve Universal Primary Education" »

If the World were a Village of 100 People

I think that if the world were really a village of 100 people...well I just don't think it would work. But for me, at least, this is a comprehendible description of our world. All of these statistics are shocking in some way or another. At least they show that the world is a little more than America and the healthy, wealthy lives the majority of the citizens live. It brings to attention some of the issues we are facing in the world today, and even, specifically, in the Twin Cities. These problems are everywhere. They are universal.

Continue reading "If the World were a Village of 100 People" »