Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Today I got an email from the director at the school I volunteer at. Jake has dropped out of school, with his parents' permission, to work. I don't know exactly how I feel about the situation. I do know that I feel sad. It is unfortunate for Jake and a disappointing way to end my year of tutoring.

Friday, April 18, 2008

I went to tutor today, Jake was not at school and hadn't been all week.

Friday, April 11, 2008

I went to tutor today, there were no students in the building. hmmm...

Friday, March 14, 2008

When Jake was told to remind his teacher his tutor was here today, he said he had already reminded her yesterday. The supervisor told me that was a good sign. Jake is not trying to scare me as much anymore. He likes it when I say, "Woah, slow down, let's do that part again" so he makes mistakes on purpose, which I find interesting. I always try to ask him about what he wants to do when he graduates. Today he finally gave me an answer. He said he wants to be a mechanic. I told him it was a good thing he is working so hard on his math because it might come in handy.

Close to the end of the school day, all of the students began to come into the commons area. They were having popsicles and just relaxing until the end of school. Jake wanted to move to a different area so that it was not so noisy. He was going to actually sit and do math, which he tells me everyday he does not like, instead of eating popsicles and relaxing. I thought this was pretty neat.

Friday, March 7, 2008

They did not have school the past two Fridays, so this is only the second time I have worked with Jake. When I got there, the kids were just finishing up lunch. I went to the supervisor's office and she went to go find Jake. I waited in her office and when she came back she said that he would meet us after he was done eating. However, then we could not find him. When we finally did, the supervisor said, "We thought you left..." to which he responded, "Well I was going to."

We did some long division, it was a good review for me. I saw that Jake knew what he was doing, but he struggled with his basic math facts. After he finished his packet we talked while he finished his social studies project and repeatedly said he wanted to leave. When it was actually time to go, I thanked him for not leaving after lunch, or early...

Friday, February 15, 2008

Today was the first day of my tutoring. I am tutoring a seventeen year old young man. Today, we were just supposed to get to know eachother. When I got there he and his partner were just about to start playing a math game that teaches percents, so we all played together...well sort of.... Jake* tried to take a nap. (*name changed) To keep him from actually falling asleep, I started asking questions.

"So, Jake, what kind of things do you like to do outside of school?"
-"I like to drink a lot, do drugs...a lot of different drugs..."
"Oh goodness, anything else?"
-"Not really."
"Okay, um...it is your turn."

I was a bit shocked that this was the first thing he told me about himself. He continued on to tell me other things like this. However, by the end of the time I spent with him that day, I figured out what he was trying to do. I am pretty sure he was trying to scare me a little bit. I guess I can understand. I am sure I did look quite nervous and like I had never seen a place like this before...which I haven't. He also admitted to me he only does marajuana...not "a lot of different drugs". This will be an experience...

Tuesday, February 5th, 2008

Today, I went to meet with my volunteer supervisor. I was a bit nervous about the bus ride and finding it, but I was successful. The meeting was just fine. We set up my schedule and filled out a couple forms. It really only took about 15 minutes. However, I had a bit of trouble on the bus ride back to campus. I did not get off where I should have and then did not want to get off somewhere I was not familiar with...which is just about everywhere. I figured the bus would just loop back around...but I guess I was wrong. I ended up having to get on the lightrail and taking that back to meet up with the 16 bus. I was late to lecture...