Introduction to Media Literacy Response

After finish reading "Introduction to Media Literacy" and going through all of the Media Literacy Concepts and persuasion techniques, I could almost instantly think of every possible example of each but there is one I could give an example of just by what we see every day. An interesting concept I'd like to mention is number eight, fear; fear by intended audience to promote a solution according to page 290. A simple example of this is the famous commercial for Old Spice where we have the main character exaggerating how every man should look like; big, muscular, large pecks, deep "male" voice, you name it! ( and for some reason every man wears a towel wherever they go). This ad is presenting fear of masculinity for guys and presents the product in a way that if you don't by their products, you will not be considered a "real" man or at least you won't smell like one. I find this technique for advertisement interesting and effective because it's funny, random, grabs the attention of both male and female groups, runs fast, is quick and simple. It just gets right to the point! However it does have its misleading message by projecting the ideal "male image"; the fear of not being "masculine". But Old Spice is known for being humorous. And people in general like humor especially when we don't see it often in commercial advertisement. For example, Old Spice's last year's facebook post saying "If you don't have an idea for the big Halloween costume contest yet, why not consider putting on some Old Spice and go as a man". After reading the post, I had bought one as a gift for a friend curious of why everyone is talking about the product (also an example of Group Dynamics number 36 and Timing number 40). The post itself is humorous, clever and effective, it brought a lot more media attention toward male consumers especially within only the last few years.

After I finished the Media Literacy reading, my mind was flooded with all of these perfect examples of media that the terms in the reading described. Just by turning on the TV the knowledge that this particular reading provides is immediately put to use. However, there was one particular section of the reading I’d like to emphasize for my post. The section in which the reading focuses on how media affects our thoughts, attitudes and actions (pg. 284) to me stood out the most. To me, this is the primary objective of media. The whole purpose of media is to draw its viewer’s attention and to give them something to think about (even if it’s only for a few moments). In my opinion one of the most effective cases of media working its magic on people is with food commercials. Everyone gets hungry and by catching a commercial for McDonalds as you’re leaving home might just get you to swing through the drive through on the way. Sometimes food commercials even make feel hungry. It’s clearly obvious to me that all they want me to do is buy their product, sometimes I still can’t help it because the image of a juicy hamburger is embedded in my mind. There is no question that media affects us, the question is how do they do it?