Post 1 Week 2

The first full week of class brought a few of things to the table, but I will be addressing our reading over the introduction to media literacy, and the video example that we watched on Wednesday. First of all, the article that we read on the intro to media literacy was very interesting. Some topics were review, like the idea of text and subtext, and many of the persuasion techniques. But some of the article was new and interesting for me to read. The segments on basic, intermediate, and advanced media literacy concepts were fun to read, and the parts I found most interesting were that media effects are subtle and complex. This means that media effects are not immediate, and may not even affect us directly. For instance, a McDonald's ad may be seen, and hours later you may crave a big mac. Or perhaps your friend sees the ad and they are the one with the craving, but they still bring you to eat.
In class we also began to address our own media examples and their messages. We began by looking at the new Volkswagen commercial. I think the problem with American views is that it's either racist or not racist. This is a terrible way to view things, and everything in this world could be set into a racist point of view. This ad did not intend to be racist, and many Jamaicans are saying that this ad is not offensive to them at all. Also many Jamaicans are in fact white, so this guy is not "impersonating black people" and especially not in a degrading manner. I actually think it's racist to say that all Jamaican people are black! Jamaica has many black people, but they also have many Spanish, British, West African, Middle Eastern, and quite a large Chinese population. The man speaks of happiness! I think the whole argument is a little absurd.

Hi Drake,

I definitely agree with your point about media effects are sometimes not immediate or directly. I have seen advertisements for my favorite restaurants or stores, and do not directly connect with them immediately, but crave the foods or want to go shopping hours later. I think they can also work indirectly in a "bandwagon" way. An advertisement might not convince you to buy a product; however, it might get your friend or family member to try it, and later persuade you after seeing its effects. I think word of mouth can be the best advertisements, as you trust your friends judgments more than a companies advertisement on the TV or magazine. The article mentioned testimonials as a powerful persuasion technique, and I completely agree.

I also agree with your viewpoints on the VW advertisement from class. I think Americans seem to think everything needs to be politically correct, even though the commercial was not offensive to the Jamaican population, and is suppose to be used for humor and entertainment.