Blog Post 4

Good Afternoon Everyone! The movie that we watched on Wednesday really resonated with me. I never really thought about the idea that children are so influencial in parental decisions. The numbers that were displayed in the episode were really shocking. If you think about it though, when you're young your parents and guardians really care about how you'll end up. Sometimes they forget that money is just an opportunity cost, and that the easiness of a simple purchase done over and over again can really amount to a negative outcome. I see children crying over sticker packs, candy, transformers cards, et. al, all the time. Many of the parents give in, mostly because the kids are making such a scene at the checkout line. Importantly enough, have you ever notcied how in check out lines at grocery stores, Target, or Walmart; how all the fun kids stuff are located lower on the shelves so that kids are more apt to discover them? Just like with adults, all of the gift cards, DVD's on sale, candy, magazines, and gum packs are just located there to taunt you. It is literally, impossible to leave Target with 1 item. As you stand in line, you are bombarded with countless items that scream at you to buy them. After all, retail is the hub of the money making business, and any way that they can encourage us to spend, is the winning way in their book. I also briefly discussed in class about how whether or not major companies really intend to effect us this way. Maybe Its my faith in humanity, but I would like to believe that people arent out there purposly manipulating out minds and terrorizing our lifestyle choices. IN all of this talk about political economics, I want to believe that this negative effect of advertisement is completely accidental. On the other hand, I am someone who really tries to make the best out of sticky situations, so maybe I dont have an objective enough personality to really understand the contents of whats given.

I agree with a lot of what you said in your blog post. I agree that parents want the best for their kids and that it may often mean spending money on them over and over. I also think that they may not realize what they are doing to their kids by showing them they will buy what they are asking for. I also try to find the good in every person so I like to think not every advertiser realizes how they are affecting us. I would hope that advertisers do not try to do these things to us.

Great post! It's crazy to think that children actually do have so much power when it comes to spending money and selling products. Most people probably never really think about how much kids are targeted by media, and this is exactly what the marketers want. They want their advertisements to almost blend in and go undetected "as advertisements."

I felt the same way after watching the video. I work at a video game store and I've always noticed how the games based on kids television shows or movies always sell like crazy, whether or not the game is any good. While I understand that kids don't really care about whether or not how good it is, they just want something with characters that they recognize, this video made me realize how much of an advertising strategy this was