Blog post week 4

I missed class on Wednesday so I have to go off of what was talked about in class on Monday, and the reading from this week. I think the clip we watched on Monday relates a lot to the McCheseney piece. The very first line of the reading uses one important word, "corrupt." In the clip we watched in class about Fox News, I think that very same word could be applied. The reporters and editors in that piece were trying to tell us how corrupt the media is due to these large corporations controlling everything. Earlier in the semester we were just talking about advertising, but that clip showed us that even the news is somewhat corrupted.

On page 143, in the last paragraph, McCheseney talks about the decline in advertisement. She quotes an ad executive as saying, "The greater number of ads, the less people pay attention to them." I don't know if I necessarily agree with that conclusion. I don't think we aren't paying attention to ads because of the excessive amount of them. I think we we are paying less attention because more people are becoming media literate. Many people are aware of the big corporations that control everything. That dominant control is why more and more companies are turning to crowd sourcing for their advertisements.

On a personal note, I had a bit of a problem with that clip we watched on Monday. Not because the clip was bad for class, but because I'm trying to become a journalist. Not a day goes by in school where I don't have someone bring up the fact that journalism hardly exists anymore. I think our generation needs to find ways to make sure that we don't let advertisers or big news companies control what we think is "news."

This week I really enjoyed the "consuming kids" video we watched. This video was actually not that surprising to me because I have actually noticed this happening to the younger generations over the last few years. I personally started noticing the effectiveness of the media when my younger brother started asking for things he saw in video games for Christmas. For example, the socks and shoes that Lebron James has in NBA 2K12, a video game. That's when it hit me that they are incorporating advertisements not only on TV programs, but in video games themselves. It's like a product within a product strategy. I definitely think that this will eventually become a problem if it isn't already. If these marketing companies don't stop trying to one up eachother, there's no telling how far they will go to sell us and our kids products. I wonder if there are plans to start regulating again.

I'm astounded at how many different advertising strategies there are and how effective they have become. Ever since Williamson's essay I've begun to notice the ploys that we see so frequently in magazines and on billboards. That isn't to say that I am not usually oblivious to them as you stated early, but I am paying more attention. I don't agree that more people are becoming media literate because we are stalked by thousands of ads daily. Advertisements have even popped up on my phone in certain apps, which I find to be ever annoying.

I think you're right about McChesney and dominant readings of advertisements. Last week, Ellen DeGeneres did a promo for Serta mattresses claiming her viewers get a deal if they order online and then she gifted a new sleep number mattress to everyone in her audience... I hope that the episode I go to see live involves a new car...

I agree that we are becoming more media literate, in some populations. Media literacy can be synonymous with literacy, and therefore access. If we can't reverse the disparities in eduction being felt by many populations of color, we risk deepening the issues brought on by advertising, but in a racialized way.