Blog Post Week 5

This week's readings from Enloe and McClintock, as well as our class discussions and presentations, opened my eyes a lot to the power of advertising during the colonial era. Back in the Victorian Era, white males were in dominance, and their power was shown in the images of the soap and other similar advertisements of that time. I believe that this time period marked the start of the continuation of racism and sexism that we still see today. White males were viewed the superior of all humans during this time period, and was helping to "save" all other humans. I enjoyed the example in class about the Disney movie, Pocahontas. This movie shows the progression that colonialism had in the US years ago. A white, strong, "ideal" man was coming to rescue the "otherness", or Native American population living on the land. He believed that the white man knew what was best for the other populations without actually taking the time to understand how they may be happy and currently living. I think this view, unfortunately, is still present today. Until Obama, every president was that of the colonialism power decent, white and male. Many CEO's and business executives today are still fitting into the largely white and male population. The white male is seen as powerful, and needs to take care of the females at home, or continue to change countries, such as Afghanistan, to meet their expectations of how a country should run. I think this image since the Victorian Era has definitely diminished, and racism has decreased. However, as Enloe states, nationalism is still very present today. I think as much as we try to think it has disappeared, there will always be that underlying thoughts of superiority that we view in the white male population in our country today.

It's interesting that everyone saw the white man as "saving" other cultures. It's so obvious to us now that they were just using the other cultures for their labor and goods. How was it possible for them to hide that back then? I suppose a heavy layer of racism, and the lack of public knowledge helps. I agree that there always has been, and probably will be for a very long time, a view of the white man as superior. How long do you think it will take until there is truly no view of race? How long until no one cares? I wonder if there will ever be a day.