Blog post week 5

I enjoyed this weeks discussion, it was a nice change to have our peers lead the reading discussion. I gained a different perspective on the readings. Both of this weeks reading were long and hard to completely follow. Discussing them amongst the whole class and hearing from classmates made the concepts much more clear to me. It was interesting to read in the Soap Empire article about the "real" first advertisements we were exposed to and the effect that happened after people viewed them. It was really interesting how highly they valued the soap and how it made you in a higher class status if you used it weekly. I think that the fact that racism was so bluntly used in the ads and the fact that some of our classmates pointed out that its still employed somewhat today. The example in class that was brought up was magazines. How there are some magazines geared only to black women, but there aren't any that are just geared towards white women, they are geared at "everyone." Everyone meaning mostly whites, but it doesn't specifically say that, but the majority who consume it are white. I feel like if we just had a magazine that bluntly said it was for the white female it would get a lot of criticism. The same goes for the channel BET, if we had a WET I think we would be harshly criticized and be seen as racist. But is it racist for the BET to have their own channel? Or the latinos to have their own spanish network? I do not necessarily think so but if we were to make a all "white" channel we would not hear the end of it. I think this is because we are the majority it would seem as though we are secluding everyone else? Thats not necessarily what I believe its just something I would think our society would think that. It is interesting to think about it all.

I think your examples with BET. I think it brings the articles into a modern day perspective. I think that for other races to not be the majority (like the white class), they feel that they often need to stick together to make their voice heard. I believe that BET was created to bring the African American population a place where they share common grounds, and produce TV shows and other entertainment that relates directly to them and their values. I think most other channels on television today are either geared towards the white population, or the general population in America. We would probably have 50 "WET"'s, which would show our dominance and continuation of colonialism to the borader public.

I second liking your examples of the BET and WET. I was just having this conversation with my dad today as to if it is offensive or racist for a particular race to have their own channel. I've heard a joke before about this and it goes, black people have one channel, BET and every other channel is WET. I also think that we would never hear the end of it if we were to make a "white channel" we would never hear the end of it. However I do think it's important to note the statistics of our demographics in the United States. 72.4% is white or European, 12.6% is black, and 4.8% is Asian. Knowing this, it does make sense that most of our channels are mostly meant for white audiences because 72.4% of the people in the US are white. So I don't think it is unfair for how many channels meant for white audiences there are because the majority of the people watching the shows are white. Enjoyed responding to your comment!

I've always wondered what kind of reactions having a white channel would cause. In my opinion I think it would cause a lot of issues between the various communities of non-white people in America. It's interesting to wonder what makes channels like BET not racist though. Great post!