Blog Post Week 6

I found all of the articles and discussions this week to be very interesting. Especially Butsch's article about the working-class buffoon role present in many media texts. I remember in class talking about why the working class is usually presented as buffoonish and as someone to laugh at. I was trying to figure out why this is true in media today. What I realized was we, as media consumers, are looking to be entertained by TV and movies. We want to experience something new and interesting that we wouldn't have the opportunity to experience in our own lives. If you look at some of the most popular shows on TV right now some stand out as being very far from what any of us will likely experience in our lives. Breaking Bad, Dexter, and Weeds are some of the big ones. We want to believe that our lives could potentially be immensely different if given the chance. When we see the working-class featured in media, they are not in a serious or dramatic context, because we don't aspire to be working-class. We aspire to have exciting and unique lives so we classify the working-class as less than ideal. Because of this we tend to look down on them and, as Americans tend to do, we make fun of them, make fun of their lifestyles. It's a sad realization, but also an interesting way to decipher the issue of class difference in the media.

I liked your analysis of the working class portrayal on television. I think you hit some key points that we missed in class. I also agree that TV shows are not geared toward realistic lifestyles. Why would someone want to watch a show like their own life? We like to watch shows that entertain us, such as how sitcoms have funny and outrageous plot lines that make us laugh. I think it is easy to criticize media for putting down the working class, but just as we learned with political economy, a company must bring forth work that will generate the most profits with the least amount of risk.

I also agree with your analysis of the working class that is portray on TV. I think many of us would not want to see shows that are similar to our lives but rather we would like to use them as an example of what not to be. The media would like to think that our lives are better than theirs and that the working class people are there for us to look down upon or entertain us. The media does such a good job knowing that can capitalize on these show and history has proven that it sells.