Week 4 Blog Post

The readings this week were a bit more dense than the previous weeks, but I do declare that our class discussions make a huge difference. I am so fascinated by how methodical advertising agencies are when promoting their products. More specifically, the strategies they use to target children. I'm writing after viewing that video in class on Wednesday that also weaved into our class discussion. I understand that advertisers exist to promote products, but some of the extent they go to is absurd. "Advertising to generate demand for products increases ales without reducing prices," writes McChesney. The statistics he provides were also shocking, but it proves how effective advertising strategies are.

I've become more aware of these strategies thanks to Williamson's essay and now McChesneys. Earlier this week I witnessed an extreme example of product placement on the Ellen Degeneres show when she mentioned how fabulous Serta SleepNumber beds are and proceeded to gift her an entire audience of 400 with brand new Serta mattresses. Clearly Serta profited from her purchase and I'm sure their sales increased after their broadcast on the air.

The world of advertising is so complex. Its everywhere, you can't escape it. I notice so much more specifically from this class. I like how you reference the Ellen Degeneres show because on her show alone she advertises many things, from beds, makeup, clothes and shoes. We know that she is profiting from having this on her show but so are the companies in which their product is being advertised. I also like how you referenced McChesney, because that is so true. Not only with products but for movies and television shows. If I like any movie on Facebook there will immediately be ad along the side about the movie. Advertisers are going after any angle they can to get the customer purchase. That includes even marketing to kids, who are the most vulnerable and easy targets. They dictate a lot more in their household then I thought previously.

The Ellen show example that you used is an excellent one. Talk shows often do things like that to promote a particular brand. It's a little bit like Oprah's book club. The authors of the books that she promoted on air usually experienced big increases in sales. I'm not sure if Oprah was paid to include any of these books on her show, but the effect on sales is the same regardless of whether she was reimbursed for her endorsement. Either way, I'm sure that the publishing companies appreciated it.