Blog Post #9

For such an important topic, I found it curious that our discussions during class were so dry this week. The topic of feminism and post-feminism hold much relevance in society, and I thought it was ironic that the people who were speaking out about these topics were the men in our class. Ladies- we definitely have something to say, why didn't we speak up? Was it that we have so many of our own ideas/struggles/ experiences that we were too scared to not bring any of it up? For me, the first day of class Heidi asked us to vocalize a type of media that you like, and a type of media that you dislike. I spoke up about how much it bothers me that women are objectified in today's world. Still, I was one of the many that held their tongue during this weeks discussion. In reality, one of the most demeaning things to me is seeing fellow women demoralized in the media just because they are female. Especially women in power like the ones we saw in the documentary. Someone brought up after the viewing that it was the same for them because of their nationality. Yes- we are all victims in this harsh world, but there is a clear division that we've been learning about that is strictly portrayed in the media. The fact that majority of what we see on television is backed predominately by men makes me feel like a drone, and as though we are just served scraps of information that people put together to veer our perceptions of reality. My main issue, is that we speak so much of the issues that we don't seek any solutions. How do we combat this issue? Or, is it possible to diminish this perspective? I'm not sure, the only thing i feel that I can do is be aware of these patterns in society and choose to ignore them.

I think you're absolutely right in the fact that more of the men did the talking more so than the women. In my opinion, I believe it to be easier to argue everything than it is to find solutions. In politics for example, all the campaign ads argue what the other person is doing wrong, but doesn't necessarily have a good solution either. It's obvious all the stereotypes and troubles that still go on with women, but even for men and women, it's hard to come up with a simple solution that is easily do-able.

I hear what you're saying loud and clear. It's infuriating how women are held at a regard of we aren't "strong" enough to carry out certain job tasks, or hold positions within a traditionally patriarchal work environment. Granted there are things women can't do as effectively as men, but that works in the opposite way too. Women are brain ninjas - I don't see how a woman president would fail, especially given where we stand today. I think a lot of women feel as though this equality issue is like that of "beating a dead horse." We try to overcome stereotypes and prove people wrong that we are just as capable as most men to succeed in various job positions, yet we are continuously disregarded as having a valid opinion. Yes, progress has been made in the feminist movement towards equality as we saw in the documentary, but when do we stop? At what point is the female population satisfied with our position in society? I've heard enough from feminists and anti-feminists. I want change and fairness. I think we will continue to progressively move towards an overall equal playing field, but we need open hearts and minds to move forward with us.