Blog Post for Week 8

From this week's readings, I got to become a lot more reflective about how transgendered bodies are seen through the lens of the typical audience of Americans. I find it interesting how in Mulvey's piece, she speaks about the gaze and how that effects women regardless of whether they embrace the gaze or not. The way the gaze functioned, especially in "Rear Window" was eye opening for me as a woman to see how females are portrayed in film and other media forms. I also found that with transgendered people, the gaze can function to "pass" transgendered bodies into a form that the typical audience views as "normal" or as "passing" for those transgendered bodies. In Halberstam's piece, I found her ways of describing heteronormativity to be very helpful even though I was already comfortable with the term as well as other types of jargon dealing with transgendered people. Her piece is really nice for that group of people viewed as the typical audience. The whole article was a very informative way to view the struggle of transgendered people on screen and in the media. In reading the articles for this week, I realize that there is a large disparity of representation for transgendered bodies on the film and when they are represented, they come off as a male or female who is gay and dresses up as the opposite sex. The ambiguity of their being is automatically pinned down as something everyone can understand which is not what all transgendered stories are. The difficulties surrounding all of these issues seem to not have a way of resolving until people realize that there aren't definite answers for transgendered bodies in such a binary society.

Morgen,

I am glad that became more reflective on our readings for this week. I think that you summed up Halberstam's essay very well. It's a great point when you say, "The ambiguity of their being is automatically pinned down as something everyone can understand which is not what all transgendered stories are." I think you hit the nail right on the head with that statement. I also agree when you see that there aren't definite answers for transgendered bodies when we live in such a binary society. It's tough to wrap our minds around what Halberstam is trying to say but I think more than anything she just wants us to know that some ambiguity should be there and not everything should have an answer according to one's gender or sexual orientation. Great post!