Blog Post Week 7

Over the last week, I enjoyed our discussions based on the Hall and Banet-Weiser pieces focused on representing race in media. In Hall's article, I specifically enjoyed our analysis of whether certain clips in media are considered overt racism, an opening racist argument that advances the racist policy of view, or more of an inferential racism, a largely unconscious and naturalized assumptions about a race. I think our country has progressed away from many overt racist scenes and actions in our media texts; however, I still see a lot of inferential racism continuing to be present today, whether it is the characters portrayed in a text or essentializing certain aspects about a race or culture in the media. I think we are moving into the post-racism age/post-feminism, but the underlying viewpoints will always be there, and cannot be avoided. I think when we try to become "politically correct" about some inferential racism, we are actually making it worse, and limiting the exposure of different cultures and their values in the media we see today. When reflecting upon the final discussion question, I also was struck by how people in predominantly white places, such as here in Minnesota, can "become inward" about other races. I grew up in a town that was predominantly white, and only about a dozen people in my graduating class of 350 were from a different race. Growing up, I was not very culturally diverse, and hence saw others kids that were different from me as "outsiders" and in a way inferior to me even as a young child. The only images I could relate to other races with were negative stories on the news, or history movies we watched in class. I think positive media images could have changed my viewpoint of others from a young age. TV Shows, such as Dora the Explorer, are helping kids become acquainted with other cultures from a young age, and presenting the idea that we are all the same and should be treated this way. I'm glad I have been exposed to many different cultural experiences since then, but feel it could have been even more beneficial if starting from a young age.

Good post! I too agree we are in or moving more into the post-racism age, however I to can see how things may be or appear to be racist in some contexts. I think our society has come a long way especially in media when it comes to racism. However I feel like people are too quick to jump to race being the issue about a certain context. I agree that there are things still in our media today that display inferential racism. I really like how you pointed out the politically correct label, because I too feel like this can make it worse at times. This is where I think some people become to sensitive to media images and make nothing into something bigger. It is also interesting to hear your view on things and how you were not exposed to such a diverse culture while growing up. It is interesting how you saw things in the media and it helped shape your views on the things you were not accustom to. I agree with you about different cultures and exposing children to them. The younger they are the better, it is good for kids to know how diverse our society has become. It is also good that the media played on that and is coming out with new things to suit the needs of the diverse culture. It is also beneficial to children to learn other languages. I think shows like Dora will help children do that.