Hall, Banet-Weiser Week 7

This week's discussions and readings are especially useful in understanding how ideologies surrounding race operate in post-civil rights american society. Hall's theories of overt and inferential racism help us recognize racism when we see it in the media (and reality), and Banet-Weiser's postfeminism discussion gives perspective on how we arrive at contemporary representations of race in the media, and the examples presented in class exemplified the concepts well.

I think that the discussion surrounding Dov Hikind dressing up as a black basketball player was key in identifying how racism can be overt. Hikind, clearly views his impersonation as being natural. I view his actions and response to be racist, but also from a postracial ideological form. He views the black basketball player as a singular identity, but his acknowledgement of race is essentialist, and his decision to link "the basketball player" with the "black" suggest that he views this image as being something that can be consumed, separate from structures of racial identity. I view his actions in lieu of his activism work opposing anti-semitism, as reinforcing his racist ideology, because it demonstrates that he does not acknowledge the social-political history of race in America as being connected struggles for identity that Jews have endured throughout history... What an unfortunate incident!

Great idea in bringing up Dov Hikind. I forgot about his racist comments and actions that we saw on Monday. I agree with you, I think that his actions are very racist and what really makes me think that is his comments to the press of it being natural and the arrogance seen on his part. It's amazing that he can do that after all of his activism work you would think that he would have respect for other races and religion after being in his line of work. I'm not defending his case here but I would like to say that it is not entirely racist to associate black men with NBA basketball. I say this because as of right now 78% of the players are black. That is definitely the majority and 83% of the people in the NBA are non-white. Now not all NBA black athletes have afros but many of the best black athletes have had afros and also have been highly marketable. Currently these players are Ben Wallace, Josh Childress, Allen Iverson, Michael Beasley, Joakim Noah. But perhaps the most famous is Julius Erving (Dr. J). Not too many people do not know who he is because of how amazing of a basketball player he was and how he certainly made popular the afro hairstyle within the NBA. The players that I have listed are for the most part well-liked, great players and with their hairstyles do stick out more than other athletes with other hairstyles. Perhaps this is why people assume this. Just a thought! Enjoyed responding to your post!