Week 8 Blog Post

Laura Mulvey wrote about something I never really thought about until now in terms of the male gaze and the power he holds with his look. Granted her essay was written over forty years ago, I am curious as to what she would say about the male gaze in today's cinema. It's as though the male gaze isn't as powerful as it was in the 40's and 50's for the films she analyzed. It's like women know that men look, therefore they play to that knowledgeable advantage to get what they want. This is just something I have seen lately in film and I wonder what Mulvey would say about that. Would she agree with my analysis or try to argue it?

I think that the gaze is probably similarly approached, but that's just my opinion. It's still a woman being objectified, and still a man watching. So my return question is what do you think she would argue?