Blog Post Week 10

This weeks class readings, discussions and media clips to do with disability were very interesting. I never really thought much into the way the media portrays people with disabilities, now that we have discussed it and saw some examples I have a better idea of what I had been missing. Riley points out in his article "that 54 million Americans are living with a disability, making the disabled one of the largest minorities." I hadn't even thought before this article to put the term minority on the disabled. The term disability is tricky enough, some people classify certain things as disabilities while other people don't see certain things as disabilities. One of the clips we watched in class from Friday Night Lights had to do with a once football superstar who became paralyzed. Riley discusses three models to explain ways the media portrays people with disabilities. Although I have not watched the show other than that episode I believe the show portrayed Jason who was paralyzed as a consumer model. He seemed to have come to terms with his disability and even branched out, not letting his disability hold him back. When I think about the medical model that Riley describes I tend to view people who are physically disabled through this model. Not that I am trying to be disrespectful or anything I just feel bad that they are in the position they are in. I think the medical model is seen a lot in the media in shows and programs I have encountered.

Great post! Thought you did a great job in summarizing the lectures and the readings for this week. I too, found it interesting that people with a disability are one of the largest minorities. In my opinion, I think that this is because many people who are disabled want to be treated normal and don't like to categorize themselves as someone with a disability. I definitely think your right with placing Jason into the consumer model. I think that he has moved beyond his disability and has tried to establish more of a consumer model with being around other people and enjoying other things. I think that Riley is right when he talks about the physically disabled model and don't think it's disrespectful in what you said about it. I too feel bad for these people because they can't function in society by themselves and other people need to take care of them for the things they can't do. I think that the medical model is seen more in news media than any other type of media. We all love to see and hear of stories about someone who is able to accomplish something despite being physically disabled. I remember about three or four years ago when there was a person with autism on the varsity basketball team. He was on the team because he loved the sport and wanted the opportunity to play in this sport despite being physically disabled. One of the last games of the season the team was up by a lot of points and the coach decides to put him in. The fans and his teammates are cheering and his parents are crying because he is living out his dream. I remember he made something like seven or eight three pointers in a row and everyone in the gym went crazy. This is such a special story and I think great for the news to recognizes because it touches a lot of peoples heart.

Enjoyed engaging with your post!

I think media goes after the medical model because its the most common one and less effort mock it on a show or movie. Its kind of sad how media does not want to show more of the truth about disability. It is sad when you think about how people are disable have a harder time,but sometimes these people do really want to show or display there disability to the public correctly and not be misrepresented.