Blog Post Week 11

The disabled population in the US is the largest minority, but it seems it is represented in the media, unlike parts of our readings that said otherwise. As I reflect, I recall seeing quite a few movies with a disabled character. A Beautiful Mind starring Russel Crowe follows a man suffering from paranoid schizophrenia; Sybil starring Sally Field shows the complexities of Dissociative Identity Disorder; and the Disney original Tru Confessions is about a mentally challenged boy (Shia LaBouf) living his life and the struggles he and his family face with his disability.
Relating to one of our readings a few weeks ago (What's Your Flava) about Disney including different races in their programs, I am moderately impressed with their attempts at including a range of diverse people. I am constantly seeing television and cinema develop productions that include a variety of people. One must remember, however, that in certain casting positions, a director or producer may not be coherent to representing diversity. They may just be interested in hiring someone who can act the way the director envisions the production.

I agree that there is an attempt to include otherly abled bodies in the media today, but the extent of a real representation of those who are otherly/differently abled isn't nearly close to what the largest minority looks like. That can also be said about any cultural group, women's representation, socioeconomic group, etc. So I agree that there's an attempt, but the typical healthy, white, abled bodied person is overwhelmingly the majority without the nod toward diversity of otherly abled people.

Yeah, I've seen all the movies you discussed. I think it's actually a prime target for many movies or shows. I think media hypes on these stories of disabled characters. But as for the accurate representation, I think you hit it on the last sentence as for how they represent the disabled class.

I think your point is very interesting and well made. I don't think media members intentionally portray these characters in negative lights. I think they are merely trying to find the best representation of the character as they imagined it. Disability is not represented nearly as much as able bodied characters, but I don't see it as as much of a problem as the article suggests