Welcome to Media Literacy, Fall 2012!

Clay pointed out that we need to estimate whether the sacrifice (for the cultural change) is worth it or not. So, discuss whether using Internet is profitable for our society or not as concerning as Carr’s warning.

Breube spoke about how media trys to portray gay in a positive light by relating it to upscale white men. Wouldn't it be more profitable to try to appeal to all the gay lesbian community? Or are they just trying to appeal to the non-gay community and make the gays more likeable to that demographic?

Ather015, Just reading your question about Breube's point about portrayal of homosexuality in the media, made me think instantly about when he talked about stereotypes in his article, and consequently I thought about Will and Grace. This show both portrays the heternormative stereotype of what a gay man should be: Will, a single, white, upper-middle class, wealthy lawyer, and what society thinks the stereotype of homosexuality is: Jack, a single, feminine, unsuccessful, financially underprivileged gay man. This raises my question of how do you think viewers at home are influenced differently by shows with characters that play into socially constructed stereotypes that deals with a controversial topic within society, like homosexuality, versus shows that do not. Are their beliefs in stereotypes strengthened or not? Do these characters represent a somewhat an accurate reflection gay men in the real world--if so to what extent?

I agree some argument from Carr's reading that Internet tend to make people to think simple compare to the past. However, I think Internet influenced helped give more comfort and in positive way rather than negative influence.
I disagree with Carr's argument that internet made people tend to not read a book and just search and think simple way.

But nowadays, many people read e-book through their i-pad or kindle to make their backpack lighter rather than carrying heavy hardcover books everyday. I truely believe that Internet suggested the solution and provide comfort at the same time that Carr argued one of the problem of the Internet.
So then how can Carr explain about the advent of 'e-book'?

While reading Carr's work I found myself being an example of what he was writing about. I find myself wanting my mind to run like "high-speed data processor" but only when looking at something on the internet/computer. So if our minds are "plastic" and most readings that we do is on the internet, how we re-mold our minds into the deep readers that used to be? practice?