Blog 2: Consuming Kids

Gen Y are intelligent consumers. Online marketing expert Kelly Mooney released findings at a National Retail Foundation conference showing that 13-21 year olds in the group influence 81% of their families apparel purchases and 52& of car choices. 82 million people are considered to be a a part of gen y. They are bigger than the baby boomer generation and have spending power and strong opionions at an earlier age. Peer recommendations are important to Gen Y. It is important to get friends involved with purchasing decisions. Another way peer recommendations are becoming the latest trend is through the form of viral marketing which is an important part of social media and marketing to Gen Y. Gen Y primarily watches TV from the web on their personal laptops or from their video capable cell phones. One of the most widely seen trends is how the news seems to find Gen Y, instead of the other way around. Just the other day I was at my internship and within minutes of news leaking of Mitt Romney's youtube videoit was all over facebook, twitter, and blogs. I wasn't even searching for the news and it had found me. Products and services are no longer searched; instead they will find Gen Y.

I think it's interesting how you point out that, products and services are no longer searched, but in fact they are now finding us. It is so much easier these days to run across different service, products, ideas, news stories; my Facebook news feed is covered in different posts, so as I'm scrolling down the page I run across them. If there is ever a breaking news event, I now know about it instantly, as I'll get a twitter update, or something of that nature. It's almost as if we can never get a break from the constant flow of information. Now with cell phones we have tiny informational devices that travel with us everywhere. There isn't a point in the day where we are unplugged. It will be interesting to see how this surge of technology will affect us in the long run.

The trend and the idea that we have been continuously watched scared a lot of scholors and making parents aware that their children can be monitored easily is crucial in winning the fight between sellers and consumers. My question to the current trend is that what will be the incentive for developing a software of a system that helps consumer escape from being monitored and make natural choices only based on what they need or in short of?

The idea you bring up of products and ideas finding you is one that resonates and deserves attention. The less control we have on what information is in front of our faces, the more likely our actions and thoughts are being influenced perhaps against our best interest. For example, if a young teenager is online for hours every day and one specific brand finds its way onto every page this individual visits, they are almost guaranteed to buy this product, develop a routine of buying this product. This is all simply because the advertising of that product plays such a large role in what they view during their free time.