blog

After reading Intro to Media Lit and our class discussion on Wednesday, it is easy to connect a lot of the concepts. Most notably concept #3, where it states that all media messages try to persuade us to believe or do something. I go back to the Dr. Pepper commercial debate. I originally believed it to be bad advertising, and even stated that in class. But after our discussion and my own reflection later, I've decided that it was nothing short of genius. I originally had forgotten that this commercial was originally aired during the Super Bowl. Now knowing that I understand the power of their statement "It's only for men" after a long list of "manly" portrayals. It isn't going to steer away women who drink Dr. Pepper. If you're going to drink Dr. Pepper, this commercial isn't going to persuade you not to drink Dr. Pepper. But what it is going to do is get more men to buy Dr. Pepper 10 believing it is not as feminine as Diet Dr. Pepper. I think the main goal is to try and get men who want to cut soda or switch to diet soda to say, "Well I could still drink Dr. Pepper, and I wouldn't have to make the switch to diet. I also believe including a statement saying it's only for men, gives a lot of water cooler talk the next day, and it is stated often that all press is good press. This also correlates with concept #6, where it states that there are "texts" and "subtexts". The text is very clear and easy to read, while the subtext is only broadening the already Dr. Pepper drinkers to stay with Dr. Pepper even when they decide to switch to a healthier route.

I like this analysis of the commercial. People are so unlikely to stop buying and drinking something based on a commercial. IF anything they will get more people as you stated above. Another thing, there is the idea that "Any publicity is good publicity." If they get people to talk about the commercial, that is more free advertising. So that's another way to look at it.

I agree with you completely. I think that people are so quick to jump to the idea that by stating that the drink is "just for men" that really what it is doing is it is expanding their market. When people are thinking of living a "healthier lifestyle" they instantly think to cut out soda. So perhaps Dr. Pepper is actually just planning on expanding their market to healthier people rather than losing them all together.

I think you bring up a very interesting point in the fact that you shifted your interpretation of the commercial. It's funny how we can look at something and think "this is horrible, no one will ever pick up on that bait", and then realize how effective those advertising schemes really are in making people discuss, think about, and then buy a given product. We subconsciously believe in things that contradict what we think we believe.

I really enjoyed your post. I think it is important to step outside of the advertisement and think about the context in which the advertisement was broadcast. Watching an advertisement from 30 some years ago could have absolutely no impact on us, but at the the given time, it could have been a perfect advertisement. It's really fun to watch all these commercials in class and hear everyone's different perspective. I agree with your new analysis. I don't think they did anything offensive or actually limiting in this advertisement. I think it is all in good humor and I think it does the job of getting men to consider drinking something that is both good-tasting and health-conscious.

This analyzing points out good example of one persuasion process. As we discussed that our decoding mechanisms provide us different understandings, but it is not only by pure comprehension. This case indicates that advertisement also considers the viewers’ situations while watching the ads and it provides more effective effects. Like, consumers purchase more products when they visit bargain places rather than just watching sales commercials.

I think that although this kind of advertising may be effective I think it is in bad taste. I think the people who came up with that idea could have come up with something more clever or possibly more interesting. I'm not sure what people find funny about it. I'm not sure if it is sexist but I think it stereotypes the people in the commercial.