Child Consumers: Are they really buying what they want?

After the film and reading McChesney's article, I am so impressed how advertiser and marketer efficiently make strategies. Especially, targeting children as prime consumers is interesting topic for me. In this summer, I watched a documentary about one department store's marketing strategy that held a children's fashion show event in Japan. Bystanders could purchase every clothes that were appeared in the show at the place, but prices of the clothes were incredibly expensive (I do no remember the cost well, but there was a 300$ jacket). However, Machesney's "Hyper-commercialism" and "Consuming Kids" answered my question that why this marketers aim children with such a strategy.
Marketers targeted children as good economic resources, because they have great influences among their community. Such like, waving parents when they faced their children's pestering for a new toy, showing off new products to friends, etc. Children do not have actual consuming power, but they can easily stimulate their family and friends to purchase products than any other advertisements. It is quite natural to target more rich for their business. In addition, Japan is facing serious less fertility rate problem, but it means parents and relatives can spend much money to their children. Then, it is more rational to sell expensive products for earning profits. Yes, this is one of a most efficient way to get money!!
In a film, it was really creepy to see when a girl said that she loves the macaroni & cheese that she never had. As this scene implies, it is much easier to persuade children by advertisements. Exploiting such children may be really rational technique for earning money, but I feel this strategy is morally wrong for people who are not aware of this information.