Internet effects on thought processes

While reading the "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" article, I noticed that much of the new reading techniques the author described were skills I would attribute with my own reading style. Nicholas Carr writes, "I get fidgety, lose the thread, begin looking for something else to do. I feel as if I'm always dragging my wayward brain back to the text. The deep reading that used to come naturally has become a struggle". This is how I feel much of the time. Any class reading that I try to do will not really be absorbed past about the twenty-minute mark. Carr receives a similar observation from Prof. Freidman, "Even a blog post of more than three or four paragraphs is too much to absorb. I skim it." I will admit, I was already absorbing and skimming by that point in the article.
I heard recently that human beings speak and think about ten percent faster than we did fifteen years ago. To me, this only further expresses the idea that the way humans think is changing. We communicate with ease through new media in a way that would seem incredibly overwhelming to people twenty years ago. There is a sense of hyper-stimulation that almost causes the brain to experience anxiety when it focuses on one singular thought pattern for too long. That has been at least my personal experience. In the article they use the example reading 'War and Peace', but I noticed the lack of focus phenomenon myself when trying to perform the arduous task of listening to the radio show 'A Prairie Home Companion'. I couldn't even figure out what the entertainment value is intended to be, the only thing I could think when listening to the radio show was that you would have to think on a very different wave length from mine to enjoy listening to this.