Introducing Media Literacy

Post your DQ's to "Introducing Media Literacy" here.

The basic concepts of Media Literacy are the foundation for being media literate. #7 Media Messages reflect the values and viewpoints of media makers. This concept intrigued me the most. I absolutely agree that events in a person's life has the most impact upon who they are and what they believe. What is the most influential commercial you can think? As a consumer what types of commercials really get to your heart? Whenever I see the dog and cat commercials with Sarah Mcclachan my heart instantly breaks. Advertisers really know how to hit the heart and how does this make you feel as a consumer?

I found the section on the language of persuasion very interesting because persuasion is the most important element in the majority of advertisements. I liked the list of persuasive techniques because it broke down the techniques very clearly. My question is this, which technique do you think is the most used? most effective? and why?

I found interesting on the basic media literacy concepts of "Media construct our culture" because our lives have changed in so many ways since the arrival of the media. As the text said, people used to rely on hearing story only from others around them. Now that we have great technologies that allows us to gather information from anywhere in the world. My question is this, are we going to depend on the media and live in the culture where people talk and meet only through media someday in the future?

#3 on the Basic concept of Media Literacy discusses how media uses the "language of persuasion." There are examples of news, documentary films, and nonfiction books and how they all claim to tell the truth. During election season there are a ton of commercials trying to sway viewers one way or the other. Different channels' news casts are sometime geared towards one side of the political spectrum. Since the language or persuasion is such a big factor of todays media, my questions is do you think media has changed for the worse - negatively affecting elections?

To me, it is eerie how effective some of these persuasive techniques are in terms of getting a group of people to think a certain way about a certain product or idea. The more bizarre part is how long they can get those ideas to stay in the forefront of someone's mind. It seems as if the only way to not let their tactics work on you is to understand why the group made every decision they did. Does this put uneducated people at an unfair disadvantage in terms of making the right decisions on what they need to buy to benefit themselves the most?

From the basic media literacy concepts, it claims that media construct our culture. In the past, our culture’s storytellers were people, but for the most people today, the most powerful storytellers are television, movies, music, and the Internet. People tend to read and search the news and the information that they want to know through just clicking their smartphones or watching news on TV. However, every media maker has a point of view. If one of the powerful and well-known journalists who are republican writes about democracy and he/she represent he/she represent own political view on the journal … people tend to agree with the journalist’s article and set their values from the media. so my question is…should journalist keep their obligation duty, or could they express their freedom of ones idea in the media?

Number 1 under the media literacy concepts sands out to me the most: media construct our culture. This got me thinking about the egregious call that occurred at the Monday Night Football game last night in Seattle. It involved Seattle quarterback, Russell Wilson, throwing a TD pass to wide receiver, Golden Tate. The ruling was a touchdown, due to simultaneous possession by the Tate and M.D. Jennnings, the Packer’s defensive back, but it was clear that Tate never even had an arm on the ball until the play ended, resulting in what should have been called an interception. The play was reviewed and the touchdown stood as originally called. Consequently, Twitter blew up with obscenities about the controversy of the ruling and how the Packers were robbed of the win. The NFL throughout its existence has created a stimulating foundation for American culture. Football is America’s game, after all and is appreciated by millions; it is essentially the blood of the American people. My multi-part question to all of you is, how can an organization like the NFL carry so much clout in influencing American culture? How can one decision on one play in one game create such a massive uproar in the social media world?

I was drawn to the section on subtext. While viewing a commercial break during a TV show, I tried to think about what the subtext was to me as well as what it could mean to other people from different backgrounds. I started coming up with several subtexts for the same piece of media and I wondered which one the writer was going for or if he/she was going for all of them. While the text of a piece of media can communicate one thing how much responsibility does the creator have for all of the possible subtexts for that piece of media?

I found concept #4 to be very interesting and rather controversial. It states how media can create a fantasy world for some. Stating that people can lose touch of reality through media. This topic has been debated for a long time, and with recent events like the shooting in Aurora, one can wonder if this is even debatable anymore. It also talks about how there is a flip side to this debate. That in some cases it inspires in a constructive and healthy way. My question is : Do you think there are more cases of a human watching extreme home makeover and wanting to do good by donating to a charity or helping a fellow neighbor, or do you think there are more cases of a teenager playing Call of Duty and being inspired to shoot a school bully? In other more concise words, do you think people are more often inspired positively or negatively?

This article impressed me how much we receive media strategies to be persuaded. Especially, I think most interesting is Bandwagon effect, that people are persuaded by information such like “Everyone is doing it!” There is so much coverage that state popularity!! Even politics!! Do you think that information causes the negative effects?

Media are most powerful when they operate on an emotional level was one of the media literacy concepts talked about in this reading. Advertisements that speak to my emotions especially emotions of sadness or heartfelt always seem to get me. For example whenever I see an ad about starving children in another country or the sara mclauglin ad about homeless pets I immediately go online to see where I can donate money to. What are some ads that have made you emotional and furthermore that you acted upon?