Media Literacy

As we read the article about media literacy, we could learn many concepts that refer to analyze the media messages; also we could see the break-down learning steps to be a media literate. I believe that being a media literate is one of the media consumers responsibilities because the messages from the media is powerful and it is very useful and convenient only if we are being active media consumers. For examples, most of the advertisements are biased in a way that they are trying to promote the products. By using techniques of language persuasion, they are trying to get our attentions and using biased language and images. As media consumers, we cannot be fooled by every message in the media. We have to be skeptical and have critical thinking to make the decision. In order for us to make a right decision, being a media literate is a first step to begin with and have better consumptions from the media. The reading "Introductions to Media Literacy" helps me a lot to analyze and organize the message from the medium. We engage in the media all the time in our lives, and we take their messages for granted. But I feel that we have to be more careful and more focused about how they convey the messages. Even if we look at the basic concepts, we can see that how the media influence us in a lot of way and how they are trying to target us by using many techniques. It was interesting to see that I still have a lot to study and pay more attention to the media.

I like your analysis of media literacy. I also agreed with your thinking. Media use many tools in order to let them know the message. They spend a lot of money then deceive people, so it is very hard to decline to their persuasion. This is happening to our environment in terms of media. Filmmakers pay more than 100million dollar for making movie or series of dramas and they are making with best director, actors, writers, engineers, and instruments. And advertisers also spend a lot of money and use all kind of psychological technic. In short, filmmaking is a composite art. In this condition, it's only fair that people who watch the film or advertisement is deeply affected without a critical eye. Media is influential.

I feel like since this class has started I look at things differently. When I see ads I am thinking :
who are they targeting?
who do they think would be watching this show?
Why did they put the actors in those clothes and have them talk that way?
Am I picking up the dominant image?
How would other people possibly interpret this media?

I never used to do things like this. Sometimes I think that this is obvious but you don't pick up on it unless you are really thinking about it.

Persuasion is definitely a key concept to how media agencies appeal to their viewers. Although, in my opinion, this tactic is even more effective when these companies target certain class groups. They can persuade their advertisement then based on certain qualities of the product that might appeal more to a certain group of people, like an upper middle class audience, versus someone involved in the working class. The second part of you claim is valuable too--understanding what is being presented to us in the media. We can't be over consumed and expect what is going on all the time, which is why we should think more about what is being solicited to us.