media persuasion and impact

The media literacy concepts in the "Introduction to Media Literacy" reading really brought forth to my attention the amount of detail to which advertisers have been able to dissect the way consumers think. Some of them are incredibly basic, almost common sense based ideas, but are sometimes overlooked when it comes to actually analyzing the way we as consumers take in information. Once a person starts to watch television with the thought in mind that there is a specific message they are supposed to get out of a given show or commercial there is no going back to passive television viewing. This is addressed in the final concept of the chapter where it states, "Media literate youth and adults are media activists". It is really up to those of us who understand the processes of advertising and media consumption to advocate on behalf of children and others who do not realize the power of persuasion that comes with media messages. The twenty-second concept states, "Changing the media system is a justice issue". Advertising is an incredible way to inform consumers about a product, but when producers have the upper hand on the way consumers think, we may be at risk of 'selling' values that do not benefit the community as a whole. Children are obviously the demographic most susceptible to the persuasive powers of advertising, simply because of their lack of knowledge on the way advertisers use these tools as well as the fact that their brains are still developing and they are figuring out who they are. When it comes to media, we need to be advocates for protecting children.

I completely agree with you, after learning more about how advertisers use these skills on the consumers, I have not been able to watch television the same. I was also intrigued with the extent that they go to, to understand how consumers think, and the different testing they do to better their advertisement skills. I also agree that it is up to those who understand the process of advertising and media consumption to help children and others. I also feel that children are the focus for many advertising companies and the tools they use against these children need to be told to adults so those that are the guardians of them can better understand why their children are so obsessed with the product they have just seen on television and why even with them never actually seeing the product they believe it is the best. We are the ones that need to be looking out for children.