Reflection on the "Consuming Kids" Documentary

The "Consuming Kids" documentary we watched in class raised some very important questions and thought points about the way media relates to children. The most glaring aspect that the viewer comes away with from this video is the sense that we are not investing properly in our future. The focus of everything children are exposed to should be investing in their development. In my personal opinion, there needs to be some sense of tact that comes along with advertising to children. With manipulative marketing, we are 'selling' cheap values instead of teaching children confidence, creativity, and self-investment. In the movie, we were witnessing a society teaching children that what they own is what makes them who they are. Young girls are being told they need to have the 'right' type of phone, the 'right' type of boyfriend, and the 'right' type of social experience. Toys for these young girls, usually about age six, are telling them they need to go out to parties, use their sex appeal when it comes to guys, and focus on having the most things. If each individual family taught their children the values that our society is focused on teaching children, our quality of life would fall rapidly. In all reality, it may be worth looking into how these changing sets of values has impacted the United States' impact on the world. When it comes to the developing minds of children, there should be some type of regulation that restricts the amount of manipulative messaging that goes into certain media.

I think you bring up such an awesome point. Girls by nature compare themselves to other girls but they also compare themselves to what they see on TV and movies. Our culture has progressivley become more media driven with our use of social media but also how closely our society follows celebrities. Throw all of that at a teenage girl and you can very easily with out trying lower their self esteem and give them a bad role model in some idiot celebrity thats getting attention. Going back even earlier to the time of Barbies and Bratz dolls you are teaching your daughter to play pretend with these sexy dressed dolls and again with out even trying you are teaching your daughter that sex appeal is what it means to be feminine and that is power. I think that our culture has made it inevitable that little girls will pick up on this need to be sexy and pretty at a very young age. The question is to what extent and what is their understanding of it? Society deals parents a tough situation with girls but I think that they can counter it with being involved and explaining whats appropriate. I think that it would be interesting to see has growing up as a young girl changed since 1990 or even since 2000.I think that you would see a drastic difference starting in confidence starting in 2004 with the creation of facebook.

I also posted about consuming kids, but you make me consider it from a different point of view. I totally agree with your statement. Especially I like the statement “The most glaring aspect that the viewer comes away with from this video is the sense that we are not investing properly in our future.” People usually not respond to valuable things naturally, but respond to exciting things. In case of kids, they are likely to respond to simple exciting things much more than adult. However it would be not easy to make ethically advertising due to the nature of the Advertising which must leave an impression in short time. For this reason I think our society need to regulate commercial advertising. Especially we need to regulate kids advertising, and change to advertiser’s eye, which regard kids as money. And keep in mind kids is our future. Children are the salt of the earth and our future.