Times Square

This week has been an extremely interesting one given the things I have been learning between my U.S. Electronic Media and our class, Media Literacy. It was really interesting to watch and discuss the Super Bowl commercials in class. The discussion we had really got me to think about how advertising has so much more latent content than most people realize. This evening, I stood in Times Square in New York City and was literally surrounded by advertisements. Before our class, I wouldn't have thought anything of this experience, but today, I couldn't help but notice the subliminal messages that were being pushed with each and every advertisement. WIlliamson's signifiers and signifieds were floating around in my head. It has made me very motivated to work harder at being a critical media consumer and not allowing my positionally to get in the way ever.

I like how you bring up advertising in a place like times square which is just packed to the brim with advertising. It would be hard to believe that with all of the different ads and colors and flashing lights that anyone could focus on just one ad and be affected by it. However for the amount that companies pay to get ads in a place like times square the ads must be effective. This does speak a lot to the subliminal messages that ads have because otherwise i dont think that ads in a place like this would be very effective at all.

I agree with you that it made me to think about how advertising has so much more latent content than most people realize. Before I take this class, I jsut anticpated there would be some latent messages to pursing people to purchase or infroming the service through the ads...but there are so many different skills have been used in ads based on media litereacy concept. I also like your example of bunches of different ads in Time Square, New York. I also became think more creative when I watching advertisement or commercials on TV after I learned that howthe concept of media literacy pursuaded us. I have to be careful about being persuaded.

It is very interesting that you ended up in Times Square right around the time we discuss advertising. It is the "mecca" of advertising. It's amazing to think how much it cost for some Ad room in Times Square. It's so similar to Las Vegas with all the lights, but on the contrary the lights are not to keep you up all night and spend money in the casinos, but rather to get your attention and get you to buy their products. I still can remember many of the ads I saw while watching TRL in Times Square ten years ago. I think advertising really sticks with many and leaves an impression if it is done well.

As the previous classmates has said, I think it's so fascinating that you had the opportunity to stand in Times Square, the epitome of advertisements, and analyze the messages that are almost literally being forced upon you. No one thinks of anything other than the large billboards and the marketing that Times Square is, as that is what essentially defines it.