Blog, Oct 25

There were a lot interesting themes we talked about in class this week but the image that stayed in my head the most was gaze. It is interesting thinking about it because I never thought of that since I never thought of myself doing that. But once it gets pointed out, it is easy to see.

For example, one of the key messages was that men look, women are looked at. And when I take some time to think about it, there are a lot of movies that have women characters, even key women characters, but there is something about them that often times makes them seem not as powerful or important, even as main characters. And it all comes down to gaze. Since a lot of women get hyper-sexualized, they become more of an object than a character (in my opinion). Looking at the women inherently takes away their power.

The question here is, how can we combat this? And how is it that women have become the object of the gaze? I know in class a couple of options were given as to how the roles have been reversed in some cases. But it still doesn't change that overall, it is kind of a negative thing for women to be considered as being looked at while men do looking.

We have talked in class about how this was such an issue back in the 40s and 50s, but I would argue that this is as big an issue today. I think filmmakers, mainly from Hollywood, need to start making more films with a strong female lead where her body is not the focus of the film.

Although it seems to me this could be more of an issue of demand. Unfortunately, Hollywood is a for-profit business so all they care about is making money, and they know that if they have in their movies, shots of parts of a woman's body so voyeurs in the audience can look without consequence, that they will make money.

So yes, the fact that Hollywood exploits this is a problem, but the fact that men want the opportunity to look without consequence is perhaps as big a problem. So how does the problem get corrected? Either by halting the practice of objectifying women in movies (which would be very hard to do), or by halting the voyeuristic tendencies of the male audience (which I would argue would be even more difficult).