Blog Post 10/25

This week we had an interesting discussion about "the gaze." This at first was somewhat confusing to me but as we began to discuss it in class it became a lot clearer to me. The "gaze" is a technique that is seen very commonly in movies and television. The use of gaze is used often times to objectify a man or woman. In class we talked about it more specifically to women being seen as the victim or objects but really I think it can go both ways. There are a couple examples that I can think of were both are relevant. If you have ever seen the show Couples Therapy then you are fully aware of Courtney Stodden, the 17 year old who is married to a 52- year old man. The cameras always catch her in ways that objectify her but a part from that she represents herself in a way that longs for that sexual attention. She sells herself to that image. An example where men are the ones being objectified would be the most recent movie I watched, The Lucky One. In this movie Zac Efron is often shown in a way that highlights his strength buy highlighting muscle definition using camera or lighting. I believe the concept of "the gaze" is not just for women but both male and female.

I think that you make a lot of good points in your post here. I was in the same boat as you not knowing what gaze was at all but after we were talking about it in class it made a lot of sense and its clear that there is always some type of gaze in movies. I also really agree with you about the gaze being directed at both men and women now but i think that back in the 40s it was probably a lot more one sided with the gaze being aimed at women.

I thought this problem is one sided, but your point is really good point to opposite the issue. We can see this issue as it was men dominance production, but recent gender equality movement improved it.

I agree with what you are saying here. I am not sure that the concept of the 'gaze' is not so much a problem as it is a technique used to exemplify the assumed sexual attraction to tell a story. Most plots on television and in movies are driven by the relationships between people and without the notion of sexual attraction these relationships are very different.