BW and Lim

The discussion yesterday inspired me to think about the music video in relation to society and observations Pat made in class. I think the fact that Pat made that some director listened to the music and tried to think about some story he could make into a music video, whether or not it is what they song was really trying to convey. How are we supposed to know that the song was originally written to be a commentary on interracial relationships? The only thing that actually put that idea into my head was the images shown during the video, not the song itself. Which leads to the question of if the analysis Lim did is accurate and even holds any water. I think in some broad sense it does, but not to any amount of specificity.

Which makes me question the Banet-Weiser piece to a certain extent. A lot of times when reading scholarly readings like we do in class, it is important to take it with some amount of salt. I understand we need to analyze and understand some amount of the political economy of a lot of things we view every day (including ads and television), but at what point does something become overanalyzed? Sure, Dora might be a thought-child of a man trying to add more diversity to television programming, or it might be some ploy to gain viewership. Or it might be a little of both, something I don't think Banet-Weiser even thought to point out in her piece (she may have, it was a dense reading and a lot to try and remember). I think she was so fixated on the fact that it might have been some evil scheme that to her, it was the only possible outcome.

That's my take on the pieces we read this week.