Do the right thing

The movie "Do the right thing" that I watched in class was l looked bored. One African American woman was dancing, in the beginning of the film and I expected this movie is like abusive movie or 8 mile. However the content of this film was not that I expected. This film showed us racial discrimination with reality. Some scenes in this movie looked like happen in realistic world in the way that it was interesting. The most important reason that I like this movie is that this movie shows directly our emotions, ideas, and conflict in the relationship with diversity society to be more specific in the Brooklyn. What's interesting is that the director appealed in the film one of the African American, and he expressed the happenings objectively.In the very begging in the film, one men abuse Korean hard, and I felt bad. But after that scene one abuse all races such as Italian, and Jews and African American. It makes me feel better. I watched the movie named "American history X". Those movies, "Do The Right Thing" and "American history X" stories are similar each other, but one difference is that the movie "Do The Right Thing" tried to keep asking for the social problem and don't lose the theme of movie. This movie taught me what else do I need to live in the world under the Martin Luther King and Malcolm X's wisdom. Spike Lee who is this movie's director called one of the conscience.

Violence as a way of achieving racial justice is both impractical and immoral. It is impractical because it is a descending spiral ending in destruction for all. The old law of an eye for an eye leaves everybody blind. It is immoral because it seeks to humiliate the opponent rather than win his understanding; it seeks to annihilate rather than to convert. Violence is immoral because it thrives on hatred rather than love. It destroys a community and makes brotherhood impossible. It leaves society in monologue rather than dialogue. Violence ends by defeating itself. It creates bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

I think there are plenty of good people in America, but there are also plenty of bad people in America and the bad ones are the ones who seem to have all the power and be in these positions to block things that you and I need. Because this is the situation, you and I have to preserve the right to do what is necessary to bring an end to that situation, and it doesn't mean that I advocate violence, but at the same time I am not against using violence in self-defense. I don't even call it violence when it's self-defense, I call it intelligence.
- Malcolm X

Same here, when I watch this beginning of this movie at very first time, i thought i would not going to be interested in, and seemed very bored.. but as time goes by, I realized that I was really into this movie! I think it was because the synopsis of this movie was all about the problem that we encountered nowadays, such as social issue and racial issue... I haven't watched the movie, 'American History X' but I will watch this movie next time. and thank you for giving quotes from both of Dr. Martin Luther king and Malcom X.

Agreed. I found this movie to be very though-provoking. Initially, I was concerned that I was going to have to sit through an entire movie that was uninteresting. The movie helped to clarify what the concerns were of the two authors of our readings. Also, as the movie continued to unfold, I was really intrigued by the stereotypical ideas of the races that were displayed as well.