Do the Right Thing examining Spike Lee

After watching part of the movie, Do the Right Thing I found some new respect and a little admiration for Spike Lee as a person. The movie depicted African American life in Brooklyn and all of the problems that the people face. The main character, Mookie, is played by Spike. Just from the part we saw, Spike made his character Mookie act like a good person. Mookie seemed to constantly "Do the Right Thing." This is interesting for me because I feel like Spike Lee usually just doesn't care. I figured Mookie would be a joker or somebody that constantly starts trouble. I thought Spike would mirror Mookie too who Spike is in real life. Which is a controversial director that always has something to say whether it be negative or positive. Spike once said the Senator of Mississippi was a card carrying member of the KKK. He also said Larry Bird was garbage and the only reason why Bird was a prominent basketball player was because of white supremacist media. His controversy and choice of words always kind of bugged me. That's why I found new respect for Spike. He could have created a lot of controversy as the character Mookie.
I really wanna examine the character Mookie. He faces racial problems when he kicks out his black friend from the restaurant. He understands that his friend is wrong and also just doesn't want to loose his job. Mookie also tries to inspire one of the Italian brothers to stick up for himself. I think that Spike Lee wants people to understand and see that sometimes the smallest of things done right, can make the biggest of difference.

This is why I admired your post. You addressed the conflict of man vs. self and man vs. man/society. Spike Lee has always been a controversial person, as well as a subject to talk about. Personally, I have never cared for him, because he always seemed like a racist narcissist. With that being said, what is so admirable about the creation of the character or Mookie is that he has grown up in the city of Brooklyn, working in the middle of different races of people, Italians—his role seems to serve as the middleman of tolerating different kinds of people. In other words, when Mookie did have to kick out one of his black friends, he was able to satisfy both parties, the owner who is Italian, because he was able to successfully remove his friend and also to his friend, because Mookie was able to reason with him about different rules/expectations about different people, eg. It was the Italian’s pizzeria, so it’s the owner’s rules. Mookie is caught between himself being pulled apart from both parties: the owner and his friend. Spike Lee was able to generate the comprisable character, which is ironic, given his racist and forward background, yet he was able to develop a character that had a balanced conscience and sense of reasoning. Mookie does indeed fit the title of the film, “Do the Right Thing.” The man vs. man/society conflict comes in when you just watch the movie and you see how difficult it is to find a job and make a living for yourself in a neighborhood like that. Lee captures the reality of life growing up in an urban environment and the financial adversities one may face when trying to survive. It seems like an every man for himself sort of lifestyle, but as you watch it makes you appreciate the things that you have and the appreciation for a hard work ethic.