Hall, "The Whites of Their Eyes" & McIntosh, "White Privilege and Male Privilege"

For Monday, please:
1. Do a close reading of Hall's "The Whites of Their Eyes: Racist Ideologues and the Media" (page 228 in the course packet).
2. Read Peggy McIntosh's "White Privilege and Male Privilege" (Moodle)
3. Optional reading: bell hooks's "Eating the Other" (p 57 in the course packet)

As you read, the following should guide your note taking:

1. How does Hall understand ideology (89-90)? Where does it come from? What does it do? How do we inhabit ideology?

2. What does Hall mean when he describes media as "part of the dominant means of ideological production" (90)?

3. What does Hall mean by "overt" racism? What does he mean by "inferential racism"? Can you think of a media example in which each one operates? (91)

4. What are some tropes of inferential racism that Hall mentions? What tropes of inferential racism have you noticed that Hall does not address?

5. What does Hall mean by "the grammar of race" (91-92)? What are some of its elements?

6. Hall describes the recurring figures of this "grammar of race" as deeply ambivalent, a kind of "double vision of the white eye through which they are seen" (92). What does he mean by this? How does this relate to Sun's piece on Lucy Liu or hook's piece on "Eating the Other"?

7. What are some present-day media examples in which inferential racism, in Hall's terms, operates? Are there "grammars of race" that you have observed in media that Hall overlooks?

8. How does McIntosh's essay relate to Hall's? How can McIntosh's analysis inform how we consume and critique media?

I understood Hall's article based on the first question. Hall argues that media operates its production and transformation through ideologies, and use different elements to interpret and "make sense" of the "natural" social existence. He points out three things that how ideologies are made. And I found that the formation of ideology is through the pass-on understanding of things. To me, such an understanding is irresistible. But my question is that how can we think the opposite way of written ideologies after we grown up? How to think the other side of things when we are mentally able to process and question the natural social existence?

In reading White Privilege and Male Privilege i had one main question and that is concerning the difference between having privileges and being over privileged. I think there is a big difference and i would be interested in knowing if other people feel the same way.

Peggy has a lot of concern for people who have no power, and she has an idea that everybody will be benefit if the world changed. She considered conflicts in school and society as a social problem. She imagined about this situation and applied for herself and think if I were them, how terrible for me. She is looks a person of genial disposition. She also highly regards minority’s rights. This is the basis of an ideal world she want to change from now. However, I would like to ask whether that is only for rights of person who have no power experience or for gaining another side of power?