Male Buffoons in the Media

I think that it's kind of interesting to think about all of the sitcoms and television series that feature a male, working class buffoon. I hadn't really drawn any attention to this fact until I took this class. Once you lump them all together and read about them in one article, it really opens your eyes to the stereotype media is portraying of men in America. King of Queens is one of my favorite television shows, but in a sense I appreciated Doug's humor, even though he is portrayed as lazy, fat, and stupid. I feel that because of the hilarity associated with Doug, it blinded me to the other dissatisfying attributes that his character has. This could be said for any of the other men roles displayed in sitcoms. The fact of the matter is, is that these shows are going to thrive, even though they are displaying unfair stereotypes because it's funny! People like to laugh, and forget about their troubles when they sit down and turn on the television. I for one, would be really sad if shows like the King of Queens were taken off the air. It's just unfortunate that America has to be associated and portrayed in such a negative way.

I really like your take on sitcoms at the end where people like them simply because they are funny. I think that this is something that people seem to overlook when they are doing analysis of these sitcoms. But the simple fact is that the shows are popular because they are funny. I also agree with you that i never really thought about a lot of men in comedy shows being portrayed as idiots. But if you look at shows so many guys are shown this way two shows that i really like are The Simpsons and Family Guy and the two husbands Homer and Peter are both not very bright

I couldn't agree more as I just had this same conversation with my girlfriend. Yes you can look at all the possibilities of whether or not we view with what we are comfortable with, or that we are stereotyping men and utilizing what works, but it also could just be really funny. These shows keep getting viewers it is probably mostly due to good writing and good casting for the male baffoon character and others. Maybe they are trying to feed into the stereotype or maybe a male playing an idiot works with the type humor that is present. While I agree that it may not be great for the view of males in American society, I'm hoping most viewers don't stress too much on the emphasis of the behavior of the men in regards to reality and just figure it to be funny and a working formula.

Your post made me smile, and it was actually fairly similar to mine. I stated that shows that feature these buffoon characters, whether male or female were intended to provide its viewers with comic relief of life stresses. In other words, these shows would take the viewers' minds off what was actually going on their own lives. With that being said, I agree that comedy is a large enough factor to keep these shows afloat and on air, but the underlying factor of these characters is that, in my opinion, they are based off of people who actually live like this in real life, and that can be scary. After all, you did say that Doug was fat, lazy, and stupid, and the last time that I checked those qualities are not necessarily the most sough after.

I feel I can understand your point even though I don't really appreciate such a person to appear in my real life. It seems to be fun just watching such a sitcom, but I feel I will have a had time if my husband in reality is like such a white male buffoon.