Rosalind Gill, "Postfeminist Media Culture" & Rebecca Brasfield, "Rereading Sex and the City"

Please post your discussion questions to Rosalind Gill's "Postfeminist Media Culture" and Rebecca Brasfield's "Rereading Sex and the City" here and using the following questions as a guide:

1. What, according to Rosalind Gill, are the characteristics of postfeminism?

2. What are some media examples in which you see these themes operating?

3. What, in your view, are the consequences of the way these themes appear in media today? Do you feel that you experience their consequences? How so?

4. What does Brasfield mean by "hegemonic feminist narratives"?

5. What are some examples of such narratives at work in Sex and the City?

6. What are some other examples of media in which you see these narratives operating?

7. What, in your opinion, are the consequences of the operation of these narratives in media today? Do you feel that you experience their consequences? How so?

Before I started to read the article, I am confused about what does Gill mean by "distinctive sensibility" and "post-feminist sensibility"? The article are quite easy to read and self-explanatory, but "The reassertion of sexual difference" section are not easy for me to understand. I guess the reason might be because I am not even familiar with the concept of "New Man" in early times.

I thought that Brasfield's article brought up some very interesting points. The paragraph, at the end of page 133,brought up the points of racial exploitation. In the show "Sex and the City" Robert is shown in a way that is very stereotypical. Often times these african americans are rejected or marginalized by white people. Why and how is this constant theme of marginalized African Americans by white girls or boys acceptable in the media?

I have never seen a whole episode of the show "Sex in the City" but I do know a little bit about it. After reading the article it seems like they play up alot of stereotypes in the show. Why is it socially accepted? My freshman year two of my good friends who were roomates watched all the seasons of the show. They then started trying to talk about men the way that the women did in the show. It was uncomfortable for me becuase I wasn't used to it and I still am not. Does it seem realistic that somewhere it is a social norm for women to act this way?

In recent years, debates about everything from the history and exclusions of feminism to the gender consciousness (or otherwise) of young woment and the ideological nature of contemporary media, have crystallized in disagreement about postfeminism. To this end, this article aims to propose a new understanding of post feminism which can be used to analyse contemporary cultural products. It seeks to argue that postfeminism is best thought of as a sensibility that characterizes increasing numbers of films, television shows, advertisements and other media products. To do so, rather than staying close to the (relatively few) texts that have dominated discussions of postfeminism, such as Sex And The City, Ally Mc Beal and Desperate Housewives, it will engage with examples from a range of different media from talk shows to lad magazines, and from ‘chick lit’ to advertising. It hopes to demonstrate the utility of the notion of postfeminism as a sensibility, and to contribute to the task of unpacking postfemisist media culture.