Roseanne

I enjoyed the episode of roseanne that we watched in class a lot. I think that it was really good to watch an episode to put the last two readings in perspective for me at least because i have never seen roseanne before. What i enjoyed the most about this was being able to hear other peoples opinions on what the show represented. It was enlightening to see how peoples own experiences and upbringings gave them different impressions of the show. In media studies it is key to see how other people view media differently from yourself that way you can start to see it in other ways as well. If i were just to take this show at face value it would just be a fairly low level comedy. However it was made clear both by the articles as well as in class that there is a lot more to it than that if you choose to look into it. I saw this show overall as fairly harmless, i did not think it was teaching kids to blow their money on things they dont need instead of paying bills. Some people could and did think that though and that is what i find the most interesting, how one thing can be taken completely differently by two different people. This also is a reflection on positionality and how positionality affects how you view media and how media impacts you.

I like your opinion and I strongly agree with our thinking. among your opinion two things that I was interested. One is "In media studies it is key to see how other people view media differently from yourself that way you can start to see it in other ways as well. " and the other is "This also is a reflection on positionality and how positionality affects how you view media and how media impacts you". These sentences are looks good example to explain about positionality and class discrimination. Each person could think world in his own way, and they could not understand other stance. So the key to solve the discrimination in class might be trial to understand each other. The sitcom we watched in class is very helpful in that regard.