90's television

After the Wednesday discussion I realized how much different today is compared to the 90's. It is hard for me to understand any other decades because I wasn't even born, but I can examine the 90's fairly well. Television did really suppress homosexuality and the though being sexually different was comical for the slumpy class. I feel like people weren't ready to except homosexuality in every day television. Producers were looking for high ratings and putting openly gay characters on the screen would hurt ratings. Advertisers control everything in terms of economics. I really don't believe that advertisers would want people watching explicitly homosexual characters and situations. The white middle class wasn't ready yet and time eventually changed people's attitude. I can see the change in today's world. I watch shows with very non traditional attitudes and that gives me comfort. I would compare today's TV shows and the 90's TV shows as this: People in the 90's "laughed at homosexual situations" and people today "laugh with homosexual situations." The marriage amendment clearly shows this change in people's attitude. Non traditional view points are becoming prevalent and accepted. This should be recognized by critics. I know America is a long way from completely accepting multicultural people but strides have been taken and it seems America is on the right track.

I found it very interesting that you connected to the articles and the films we watched in the class to the marriage amendment. And I agree with the idea that people's attitude has been changing toward this issue and it has become easy to see through these kind of amendment. I believe that the media play a big role in influencing people's point of view in any issues. These depictions including gay-themed episode in the TV programming surely and gradually penetrates into our perception and shapes how we value about something.

For me, it was hard to understand what is the main topic that Becker wanted to talk about in his article.. He was mainly focused on the 'class', class issue the main problem..Even though he claimed that those gay-themed on the television might changed people's view of homosexuality whereas it did not addressed economic inequality, I believe that changing view of perspective towards homosexuality in nowadays overcome economic inequality.
(I believe its great success that changed the people's perception of gay-themed) To add, especially I really like your description of "People in the 90's laughed at homosexual situations and people today laugh with homosexual situations."

I think your point is a good example of media’s cultivation effect. People changed their attitude because of the media homosexual characters have kept appeared in mass media, and it gradually affected people’s mind toward this issue. Unfortunately, this trend is not organized for making consumers accept the media, the media executives just want to make efficient way to collect consumers.

I really like the way you thought about the comparisons of the '90s to today-especially the way you thought about how homosexual jokes were laughed at vs how they are laughed along with today. I would agree that society is much more accepting to a certain degree. The driving-home idea seems to be the disconnect between people wanting to appear accepting of homosexual ideas without appearing homosexual themselves.

I think that what you said about the marriage amendment being passed is very interesting. I completely agree with you that this is such a true sign of how far we have come. If an amendment like this would have been presented years ago there is no way it would have been passed but media is just an example of how far we are coming.