Barbie of the East

After the lecture on Monday I was very intrigued by the synergy created by Mattel. Creating international products is very important the to the growth of a company. Mattel does a great job at globalization and I think the article misses some of those positives. Perhaps, some people of Indian took offense to the Barbie doll, but it seems that the majority approved of the doll. Huge companies like Mattel know what they are getting into. Mattel is an established brand name when it comes to making toys and they knew what type who to target when it came to selling dolls in Indian. I think this is where the term economic globalization comes into play. This goes deeper than just creating an "Indian" Barbie doll. Using an iconic figure in Barbie instantly creates some type of hysteria in young girls no matter what the nationality. Parents will buy the dolls even if they might not necessarily agree with company and their actions. This creates a whole new market and if Mattel does a good job, then their brand name instantly becomes the biggest. This will help in selling other products not just toys. Their message is what the people of Indian get to see and experience. In my opinion, this is everything. If you control a particular market, you control everything. Advertisers cater to what you want and the idea of supply and demand is swayed to your side. I think this could be the ultimate goal of economic globalization.

You make some good points here in your blog post. I think what you are getting when you talk about the article missing positives of what mattel does is that mattel doing a good job does not mean that they are doing things that people like. It is important to remember that as a company mattels number one goal is to make as large of a profit as possible they do not care what people think. As long as people do not get so upset that they boycott the product. At that point sales are being affected and the company would change its approach.

It is true that Babie dolls win the Indian market and the steps taken to its current situation are amazingly right and successful. But my question is how this American doll can change the Indian young girls' life and what kind of market those young generation gonna face when they grown up?

I was really shocked that no one reacted negatively to these dolls. I thought it was incredibly rude of them to assume that simply changing the doll's clothes would make the doll representative of that culture. That being said, I agree with you. If people are still purchasing the doll, then it must not have been too offending.

I agree with you in that if it is done in a way that is not offensive than they are going to profit and sell their product. The example of the Indian cultured Barbie doll is interesting to me because many would think that this was done in a way that was not representative of their culture, when in fat this was a positive selling technique for them.

It is good point see today’s international market success by multinational corporations. In fact, SONY has their movie, TV, and music industries in the U.S. and these are American’s favorite entertainments. They got such success, because as your point indicates, they were good at producing products that local people prefer to accept.