blog 11/9

This article and the discussion were both a little confusing at first, but I feel as though I have a pretty good grasp on it now. The term "affordable" I thought was a great way to describe the concept. It makes sense in regards that it is easy to show gay culture without really approaching the problem of LGBT exposure in the media. It made even more sense when we discussed how in the late 90's there wasn't a lot of african american families portrayed in television due to the current economy. Which made a lot of sense to me. You can't have a show with a family in the projects, because that is depressing tv that most would not want to view, and you would think there would be backlash if there were a bunch of tv programs with black families that were well off. So by introducing gay characters and gay themes in shows it becomes affordable, as they can get the slumpy class and have a multicultural aspect. I believe in a time of incidents like the Matthew Shepard incident, having the mindset of affordability involving gay culture is a bit upsetting. It was almost as if they believe that it was the right time based off of the economy, not that it was the right time due to present culture.